Quantcast

Quarantine tank set up help?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Shawnna

Joey & Xena are the best!
I added 2 maroon clowns and two rose BTA's to my 55 gal recently. About 2 weeks later, I noticed my beautiful purple tang had ich just as I was headed out of town for a week..... ugh....

When I came back, I had a 10 gal set up as a hospital/quarantine tank and tried to save my beautiful purple tang using Copper Power without success -(my ignorance mostly - didn't have the 10 gal cycled, didn't have a copper test available - like I said, MY ignorance).

I now know I should have done this BEFORE getting the clowns so my lesson is learned.

My question is, how do I set up a quarantine tank in my 10 gal and get it through the cycle period so it is ready next time I want to add a fish to my reef tank? Right now it is bare - no substrate, just a hang on filter, heater and air hose. How can I get it cycled? I don't want to use live rock in it. I did put a piece of my fluval filter sponge in the hang on filter but the ammonia is still very high.

Your suggestions and insight is very much appreciated!

BTW - none of the other fish in my reef tank seem to be affected by the ich - yellow tang is fine, 2 maroon clowns appear fine.

Thanks in advance for your help! :(

MtnDewMan

Hmmm, for a quarantine tank, maybe just an over the back filter (biowheel type) that cycles with a small piece of shrimp for a couple of weeks with water changes in between?

Imaexpat2

Hummm, I never even thought about that aspect of a Q/T. Would using water from an existing tank, in conjunction with a HOB filter using only sponge for media negate the need to cycle?

If I could get some feedback on this ASAP I would sure appreciate it! Right now, Killer the Miniatus Grouper, is in my Q/T right now and its only been set up for 3 days!

steve-s

Imaexpat2 said:
Hummm, I never even thought about that aspect of a Q/T. Would using water from an existing tank, in conjunction with a HOB filter using only sponge for media negate the need to cycle?
Water from the main tank will not be able to transfer neccessary bacteria but can be a great stop gap when needing to transfer current inhabitants "on-the-fly". Only hard surface materials will transfer the desired bacteria. If you have any filter material from the main tank that can be placed in the HOB of the QT, this will work much better and faster. A few bioballs, filterfloss, carbon or the like.

If you never use actual meds with your QT (me being a fan of hyposalinity for most problems) then the HOB can be run on the main tank a week prior to new additions to "re-colonize" bacteria in the even you do not keep the QT running 24/7. If keeping the QT running, ensure you add small amounts of food a few times a week to keep bacterial populations from crashing in the absence of animals.

Cheers
Steve

Alice

I use the sponge filters that go over the end of bubblers; I leave them in the sump to colonize bacteria. I have several that I rotate out so I can clean them. Colonizing bacteria is one thing, becoming a nitrate sink is another. ;)

When I need a QT or hospital tank, I do a small waterchange on the main tank, use the aged water in the QT, add a sponge filter and it's ready to rock. If I used meds in the QT I throw the sponge filter away; they're cheap.

Alice

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts