Quantcast

question about corals

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

spongebob lover

flea whisperer
hello everyone :) i would like to ask everyone, how do you keep your soft corals in one place and don't let them grow on a different rock ?
I ask this because i have pulsing xenas and zoos growing everywhere.
I know i can frag my zoos, but what about the xenas and mushrooms ?
everytime i clean my tank they usually end up swimming until they hold on to a plant or a rock :p
so is there any way i could make the xenas stay in one place or attach them with something to a rock instead of having them everywhere? because i even have baby xenas growing on a snail's shell :oops:
Thank you :)

bradreef

always kidding
superglue is hard for mushrooms and you have to buy a good gel. At abernathy hobby in Bellevue they have I.C. gel which is good and Zap gel which is also good. I would collect them and make a space in you sump for them. maybe a tupperware with eggcrate over the top so they don't escape. just place some small rock in there and they will eventually attach by themselves. you can try and glue them to a rock or rubberband them or wedding veil. after you do this make sure to put them in a low flow area so they can grow attached. also have a lot of paper towels around to absorb the coral slime.

Alice

I've never had much luck keeping Xenia contained. It seems to have a mind of it's own about where it will grow...or even if it will grow, sometimes. At one point I've had big stands of it, then it would die out only to see little nubs start up all over the place.

wrightme43

Ditto what Alice and Brad said. Another way is a small bowl with live rock rubble in the main tank. put in the zenia and then rubber band the veil over the top. It gets enough flow to live and the rocks let it attach. Then you can take it to the fish store and trade. LOL HTH Steve

spongebob lover

flea whisperer
yes Alice it happens, mine were like that too, but i guess after i bought my skimmer they seem really happy and pulsing like never before. I have a few of them hanging on a plant and so everytime i cut the plant they just swim everywhere and that's how i have baby xenas growing everywhere.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts