Quantcast

question about halides

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

wrassehole

wannabe reefmaster
hey guys, its me "captain stupid questions" ive been searching for a new set of lights and saw a few of those metal halide fixtures for sale on ebay. you know, those big S.O.B's that kinda look like those hair dryers for old ladies at the salon back in 1977? has anyone ever used these and somehow made them smaller. can i just lose that big saucer of a reflector? because there huge but really cheap. i can get two 400's with bulbs for $150.00. any input?

thanx in advance.

NaH2O

Did that price include the ballast, or was it just the fixture? And I'm going to assume you mean the bell shaped pendants?? lol on the hair dryer :)

wrightme43

Dude what are you going to use the 2 400s for? I am sure you could remove the dome reflector, and use the socket any way you wanted, but arent some of the bulbs for horizontal and some for verticle use? I may be way off base but thats what I thought. However I have been wrong several times today alone. I can just imagine the Mounties busting in thinking its going to be a pot bust, and seeing you in shorts with welding gogels on, sunburnt and staring at your tank. You would have to say What are you talking ah-boot? LOL

kevinpo

Expert
Those type of fixtures often have the ballast attached to the top of the bell and weigh a ton. If you reduce the size of the reflector you will get more of a spotlight type of effect which is very powerful but only in a small area. Bulbs are sold however that are universal burn (which means that they can be mounted horizontal or vertical).

Regards,
Kevin

DonW

R.I.P.
I think your talking about wharehouse lights. If they use the m58 ballast then yes. You can take them apart and configure them any way you like. They will fire Ushio 10k bulbs. Keep in mind they will not always start the first time. If you drive down to Lakewood, WA I'll give you two for free.

Don

NaH2O

Kevin - thanks for the info about the ballast. I didn't realize that bell pendants have it attached to the top.

wrassehole

wannabe reefmaster
god, the information i get from you guys is second to none, thanx for the imput, i just assumed that the ballast was seperate and didnt think they weighed that much. i dont know how safe having all that weight on top of a glass box. I appreciate the offer Don, i do drive down alot and might take you up on that if convenient. steve, are 400's really that bright. I have a 90 gallon and thought that 400's would be okay, i had planned on putting them a little higher with no reflector. still too much? Welding googles, hahahahaha steve, i want your goat. how many frags for him?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts