Quantcast

Question about spray bars(Mojo)

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Darrell

Now i have got a genral idea about overflow boxes,sumps,refugiums,ect. but Mojo i believe has a spray bar in his tank? that blows destius out from underneath the rocks can someone explain about the plumbing or this system and how i can make something work like this in a glass tank or am I confused
maybe i need to take a Aquatics pluming Course LOL
Darrell:lol:

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
LOL Darrell a spraybar is just a simple pvc pipe with holes drilled in it, you drill the holes pointing towards the direction or directions you want the detritus and waste to flow. As per powering it you can do anything from simple attaching a pump/ph to it directly or through a closed loop or from a sump return.

hope it helps

Mike

Darrell

i plan on a major overhaul on my tank as the LFS lead me wrong 2 years ago,I have learned in leaps and bounds just on this forum so ill be starting this refamp from the tank and back,adding a sump and creating enought water flow without useing 4 powerhead in the tank i hate looking at them

jmaxwell

You never stop learning in this hobby....that's part of what makes it fun. They also have spray bars that have plastic joints in them so it is bendable. It can be pretty handy.

Jim

j.stagner

Seeker of knowledge
I've read about cases where after a long period of service the spray bar requires a breakdown and cleaning, and for many of us over time it will become harder to get to the thing ;)

My biggest question for people who've used them is whether they feel that spraybars have big benefits, and whether it's possible to get those benefits from other plumbing schemes.

Darrell

can the spray bar be attached to the return of the sump pump can it be used that way?
Darrell

Scooterman

Administrator
Yes & Yes!
Design would require a way to do some cleaning.
Yes you can return from a sump but you must accommodate for an air break somehow.

Darrell

good question stanger is there another alternitive to the spray bar i just what to be efficient
Darrell

Darrell

Scooterman said:
Yes & Yes!
Design would require a way to do some cleaning.
Yes you can return from a sump but you must accommodate for an air break somehow.
reverse check valve before entering back into tank iand i beleive it need to be at the high point of the system Mojos design
Darrell

Last edited:

Darrell

i got all this design in my head i just need to draw it up i wish i had some kind of drawing program to draw it
Darrell

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Well I cant speak for others but I did not glue in my spray bar so I could clean it if need be. I just did maintence of it after a year in place, but found no holes being plugged. I was actually surprised.

My biggest question for people who've used them is whether they feel that spraybars have big benefits, and whether it's possible to get those benefits from other plumbing schemes.
The concept of a spray bar is to not allow detritus to build up behind the rocks (where it wants to go) also to get a good flow going under your rocks, again for the same purpose. IMHO this is a critical thing. Thier are different ways of doing this but I find the spray bar to be the most efficient.

Mike

wanareef

reefer addict
Mike

Do you have any spraybars "under" your rocks? And would you reconmend this? The biggest problem would be to clean, but if one needed to, I'm sure there is a way.

Scooterman

Administrator
Actually, the pieces that go down into the tank can be fitted tightly without glue, so from the elbow on down can be removed easily. You could also use unions to seperate the pvc at a key location, from there remove it. Also take note, your rock work, shouldn't be piled up tightly, or even against the glass anywhere, this allows for free movement of water at a higher flow rate. I'm actually planning to remove some rocks an install them in the sump area to give more room for water flow. I hope to achieve this Saturday when I do my next water change.

Last edited:

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Good post Scooter.

Wanareef you dont need to go onde the rock pile (although I have seen it done) what you want to do is have the water flow go under it. But agaian going under would not hurt and would probibly help, but maintence on the sections under would not happen.

MIke

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts