Quantcast

Question for those with Bare Bottoms?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

G~

Super Gobie
how do you keep the LR from shifting? do you epoxy them all together?

G~

Flatlander

Same as above.

I used large flat pieces for the base rocks and built from there. Musr be stable, as you dont want large pieces falling on the glass. :shock:

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
I got a little carried away on that, lol. Who didnt know that. I got a drill and drilled short holes in the botton of the rock that was sitting on the bottom. Just about an inch deep. I then got some acrylic dowels and shoved them in. It only kept the rock up a 1/4 inch off the bottom but made them real sturdy

Mike

G~

Super Gobie
mojoreef said:
I got a little carried away on that, lol. Who didnt know that. I got a drill and drilled short holes in the botton of the rock that was sitting on the bottom. Just about an inch deep. I then got some acrylic dowels and shoved them in. It only kept the rock up a 1/4 inch off the bottom but made them real sturdy

Mike
what are the dowels attached to? one end in the rock the other end? or did you glue the dowel down to the bottom of your acrylic tank. :idea:
(dude you got enough emoticons?)

G~

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
lol :D :oops: :? is that better bro, hehehe. Here is the concept of what i did. when u place a rock on the bottom, its natural shape wont fit perfect. The short dowels keep the rock from rocking, basically stabalized it. So if your high on the one side you drill in a dowel, if 2 sides u use to 2 dowels or whatever u need it to be in order to stabalize it or hold it in the posistion you want it to look like. You dont glue the dowels to the rock or the bottom of the tank, just drill a short hole with a drill and then put the 1/2 acrylic dowel in how ever long .

Mike

G~

Super Gobie
that makes sense. where is the adventure i glueing directly to the bottom. :) interesting idea.

thanks,

G~

Grouperdog

I used acrylic rods from 2-4 inches in height that were glued to the bottom of the tank. I then placed the base rock on top of them, by having the rods vary in height the rock ended up getting wedged in bewteen and on top of the rods creating a very stable platform. Even my pistol shrimp has not had an effect on them even tho he has probably dug underneath each base rock I have.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts