Quantcast

Questions about Cycling

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
I set up a 12 gallon holding tank on Sunday. I checked levels today and my Ammonia is at 1 my Nitrite and Nitrate are at 0 so far. My Alk is at 2.97, my PH is 8.2, SG is 1.026 and my temp is 76. I have about 5-7lbs of live rock in the tank. I have never kept track of cycling with test kits before. I would just wait a month before putting anything in the tank since I didn't have tests to check the levels... Those were my extreme newbie days :). Is there any timeline I am looking at for the cycle in a 12 gallon?? I know having live rock in the tank will help a little. Anything else I could do to help the cycle?? Thanks for any help!!

Last edited:

MCSInc

Reef Enthusiast
Did you start your Q tank with fresh saltwater or did you use water from your existing tank.

Your best choice is to fill the Q tank from your main tank and put the new water in the existing tank. Especially if you have someone that needs to go in it right away.

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
I don't have a main tank right now so it's new water. I added a few more pounds of rock and I don't really have anything that needs to go in there right away. I added some water from my 5 gallon tank that my clarkii and blenny are living in from the move so there is some cycled water in there, but not much.

NaH2O

Becky - since you have the rock QT, now would be a good time to see if there are any hitchhiking crabs. I remember reading somewhere that you place the rock elevated on egg crate, and put some bait on the bottom of the tank. Any crabs or other critters will make their way down to the bottom of the tank, and likely won't be able to get back up. You can get them out at this time.

I would let the cycle do its thing...just monitor the levels.

Here is a thread on Nigrogen Cycle Explained

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
Just re-tested the water and my Ammonia is now .5, my Nitrates are around 15 and my Nitrites are reading 0 still. I added another gallon from my 5 gallon tank and more rock. Is this normal cycling for the ammonia to drop in a half of a day?? Maybe it's because I added more rock and water. Oh, I also added some pieces of food to help the cycle along too... I don't know... Niki, thanks for the info about the crabs, but this is the rock that was out of water for a little bit. I don't think crabs could've lived through that. But hey, who knows... Crabs are a determined bunch :) I totally back the saying "crabs are evil"

Last edited:

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
It's not a Q tank as such. At my LFS there is a baby blue tang about the size of a nickle or penny and I'd really like to get the little guy. It's so small I'd like to keep it in a tank where I can closely monitor it and give it personal attention. So really it's not a Quarantine tank, but really a holding tank. After the little guy grows big enough for me to feel comfortable with him in my 90g then the tank will be used for a home for my goby. I have just a plain 20 gal for a Q tank.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts