Quantcast

questions on setting up new tank

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

wcwaldmn

I've been running a 180 gallon reef for a few years now. Its an old das tank with the internal filter removed with 180 llbs of live rock and a hang on turboflotor skimmer, but unable to run sump as unable to drill tank. Running 6 six foot VHO's. Mostly softies and a few lps corals. In the process of buying an Oceanic 215 Gallon reef ready tank with 58 gallon sump.

Want to set it up right at the start. Planning on some clams, and probbaly gonna give sps a go. First question is what would your opinion of the lighting be. I know it will be MH, but what would be the best setup. And how about the skimmer. It has worked well, but should I be considering a different one that would be more effecient. Cost is no object. Want to do it right

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Hey WC welcome to Reef Frontiers!!

Lighting can be a tough subject. Thier are always going to be comprimises, all growth, all color, combination of the two, pleasent to the eye and so on. Personally I have tried alot of lighting combos and bulb types. I have chosen to stay with the 400 watt 20K radium and 250 watt hqi 10K's. I feel this combination still gives me great growth and the colors are the best I have experenced with sps and clams. SO for your tank I would suggest 2 400 watt 20K radiums on the outsides and a 250 watt hqi 10K xm/ushio dead center. If in a canopy spread the reflector of the 10K flat and it will blend the color well.
On the skimmer that is going to be part of your overall filtration concept. So its best to know what filtration method your going to be using. An example of mine is that I run BB and the skimmer is a critical component in the exportation of nutrients. A person with a DSB type system is only going to get a small percentage of the nutrients out as the balance will go to the bed, thus the skimmer does not serve the same critical nature

Mike

wcwaldmn

Thanks for the reply

Yes, I've read enough of these boards to realize lighting can be a subject that stirs a lot of argument :) My LFS has the exact tank I'm going to set up at their shop. They were suggesting i go with 3 MH along with 2 6 foot VHO actinics, which is what they were running. The configuration you are suggesting, you feel will give a better color. I understand it will definately have a more intense light with the 400's versus the 250's they use. Sounds like something I may go with. and yes its in a canopy. The tank will be in a air conditioned room. would fans be enough to keep water temp down or should i consider a chiller with the 400's?

The filtration will be DSB, live rock, skimmer and good water circulation. I suppose my turbofloter will do. It has performed admirably so far in my 180.

wcwaldmn

sorry

noticed your link to the lighting discussion after I had already posted. Getting my question about VHO actinics answered there :eek2:

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
The reason I am suggesting the 400's for the 20K's is that the higher the kelvin the lower the intensity, so with the 400's you will get the punch you need. I don't think to the eye you will notice any difference in intensity, as in it shouldn't be a light house, lol. I would suggest going with the lighting (MH) first and then look to actinics if you feel you need it for looks, or if you wish to simulate dawn and dusk conditions.
For cooling you really have to try the fans and hope they do it. A chiller is a big cost if it is not needed. Just get a couple of clamp on fans and point them at the sump, and see if they do the trick, if not then a chiller it is.lol
On the skimmer, yes I would stay with what you have for the moment, just try to create smart flow that keeps as much detritus in the water column as you can. don't rely on the dsb to much but instead still try to get the waste and detritus out, this will give you dsb system a better chance at lasting longer..

We don't argue here WC, we just present the facts and let the person make up their own minds. Makes for a much nicer atmosphere, heheh

Ok now for my price for the little help I gave you!!! you have to post some pics of your tank and also of the one under way.

take care

Mike

Scooterman

Administrator
It is always fun to watch a new system emerge, posting progress, pictures & questions is a great way to get what you want, help others & learn all at the same time. I have 5ft (60") VHO's also; I've added MH lights with electronic ballast. If I was to do it over, I would of gone with MH lighting from the get go.

Oh BTW welcome to RF!

bradreef

always kidding
edgerat is setting up almost the same tank. He is selling his skimmer which is a really top notch skimmer. talk to him and look at his thread. is will give you alot of idea's

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts