Quantcast

Quick Update

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

iamjosh

Well Its been a while since I've been buy so I thought I'd first say hi, and I hope everyone is doing well.

I finally was able to get my 75 Gallon Sump in the basement plumbed to my 125 Gallon Tank Upstairs.. I'd kinda let my tnak upstairs go for a while since I knew I was going to be doing changes, so please excuse the huge mess in that tank, but I hope these pics will give you good ideas.

There are currently no baffels in the 75 but it seams I'm not getting any bubbles back to my main tank so not sure that I'm totaly going to need them. *Crosses Finger*

The Iwaki-100 Is wired into a UPS to keep flow going in the event of a power outage, not sure if the UPS could start it with out power but it should be enuf to save my rear for any minor problems, also there is a check valve, and an emergency over flow that drains to a sink.

Also the 'T' setup that drains to the sink is for dumping water before a water change, I'll just change it to drain to the sink rather then the sump leave the sump pump on lower the level of the sump and then use a mag 18 to pump 60 ish gallons of Mixed & Heated RO/DI water from 2 trashcans. You can see the switch for the Mag18 just next to the switch for the Iwaki

Last thing I lowered my light from being about 8 inches down to about 3 to 4 inches I'd like to lower it more but not sure how long I should wait before I do and how much farther I can lower it.

Ok Lets her comments, questions and suggestions.

Things I need feed back on;
*How to make the Iwaki silent?
*Do I need baffels?
*How Low can I have My Light?

Many Thanks,
-josh

Also I believe the plan is to host Spokane's November meeting at my place so hopefully many of you will get to look at it all up close and personal, hosting meetings is a great way to get free advice, and left over frags at the end of the night, all it costs are a few drinks and snacks. ;-)

NaH2O

Wow, Josh - I like the set-up. Is the noise of the Iwaki coming from vibrations on the stand? Have you tried the mouse pad trick, yet? What is your lighting?

iamjosh

The noise was coming from the vibrations, I put two gel cushions I'll place a thik mouse pad and see how that goes.

I have a PFO Professional Lighting hood, right now its running the 2 VHO sets, 1 400W MH in the center, and 250W MH on either side.

Check out their site, I love my light. http://www.pfolighting.com/AqProfessional.aspx that version shows only 1 MH, I have 3 built into mine :)

-josh

iamjosh

Curt - Thanks, those look good, If the mouse pad trick doesn't work that'll be the next option. After un screwing the pump and placing it on the gel pads it was not as loud, and lucky for me its in the garage.

iamjosh

Well the anwser I've found..

*How to make the Iwaki silent? Mouse pad
*Do I need baffels? no
*How Low can I have My Light? all the way down just do it slowly so i don't bleach corals also make sure temp says stable..

iamjosh

Other then heat build up, both in the tank, and under the tank, do anyone see any problems putting the balast's under the tank in the cabinet?

Dual 250 MH Ballast,
Single 400 MH Ballast,
2 VHO Ballast

kevinpo

Expert
Hi Josh,
There is no problem with placing the ballasts under the cabinet just watch for heat buildup. Also don't keep your test kits under there as the heat reduces their shelf life considerably.

Regards,
Kevin

iamjosh

Kevin - Thanks for the info. I think the plan is to keep my test kits down in the garage. Besides that's where i want to be doing all the work on the tank anyway.

Thanks,
-josh

iamjosh

Ok Folks I think I'm losing the battle with my protein skimmer Its time for something new.. looking at the current setup What's the best way to setup for a powerful skimmer rated up to 200 Gallons or so. I was looking @ the AquaC EV Series but it looks that I'd need to lift it up out of the sump, Is this the best way?

Thanks

iamjosh

Total Spaced on Checking out Brent's Stuff Guess I should Check out that option too.

What are people's thoughts and experinces with the differnet brands?

NaH2O

Josh, I think AquaC is a good brand. I debated between the AC and Euro-Reef, and I ended up going with the ER. What we did to lift the skimmer up in my sump is: we made a little stand for it out of acrylic. You could make something similar out of egg crate and small PVC for support.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts