Quantcast

Rainsford Goby Experts

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Craig Manoukian

McKosker's Wrasse
Yesterday I introduced a juvenile Rainsford Goby to my tank. It is between 1/2" and 3/4:" in length and is not as big around as a pencil. It spends its time hunting/picking the sand bed and then disappearing into the aquascaping.

Who can shed more light on these way cool fish? Best thing is it was $14.99 at the LFS!

TIA :D

mfinn

Surgeonfish
I read that hair algae is a diet requirement and they will eat copepods. But after watching them you would think that they were more of a pod eater.
They are a cool looking fish.
Very shy.

wrightme43

I have three in a 150 in columbia ky. They are alway picking up sand and sifting it out the gills. I have never seen them eat any of the nori I put in the tank but I am only there for 3.5 hrs every two weeks. They seem to be (limited experince) a very hardy fish and grow quickly mine are about 2.5 inchs and I think that is full sized. Very pretty but shy IME. They seem to like the rockwork and quick darts out to eat, sometimes one will hover over the sand bed and then take off again. Thats all I really know. Steve

Craig Manoukian

McKosker's Wrasse
Thanks guys!

That is the behavior I have seen so far. LiveAquaria.com lists mysis shrimp as a food source but mine has not taken any mysis. I do believe that it gobbled up some cyclopeeze last night at feeding time.

The R/C Man

Mine has pretty much the same type of behavior. I have witnessed him eating hair algae on a regular basis. I have only seen him eat one peice of prepared food. I think that was an accident on his part.. lol :) Definately a nice addition to a reef....

Craig Manoukian

McKosker's Wrasse
Yes plack,

Look carefully at the white spots/markings along the dorsal line and the tell tale dark spot outlined in yellow on the dorsal fin.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.