Quantcast

Reactor Media

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

northstaraquatics

The Lone Reefer
Hi All,
I just wanted to reopen the subject of Calcium Reactor media. What are you using, what are your results? Why is using aragonite sand a bad idea? Sand in the tank disolves anyway. How can ARM or ROWA products be so much better? How are they obtained/made? Most sie searches have led me in circles or off subject so far that it would take weeks to go through it all...

Thanks,
Jon

DonW

R.I.P.
I've been testing reactor media. Coralife puka shell argonite substrate works fine and test 0 phospates with a Merk sp? Pro test kit. It will break down at 6.5ph, I stopped the calcium test at over 700 / 18dkh. Mag was 1550. The only place I've seen it in petsmart.

Arm I just started using. Expensive to say the least but breaks down at 7.5ph saves on co2. Phosphates .012 after 8 hours. I need to get another Merk sp? kit but I'm sure the phospates wont go up much more. In my reactor 7.5ph is only 25 pbm with ouput dkh at 18 thats pretty low co2 consumption.

So far even at the higher price I like the arm. but I've only been running it for a few days. I''ll run the other test this week-end.

I have'nt been able to find Rowa. As soon as I find it I'll test it.
I forgot to add that my bubble counter uses a syring needle so the bubbles are about have the normal size.

Don

Last edited:

northstaraquatics

The Lone Reefer
Thanks for the great info Don. There just isn't enough places to find facts or someone to go the extra mile for the answers. I unfortunately don't have decent test kits anymore or at least will have to go through them again for reagents.

I had to ask the question because I plan on reversing the flow on the homebuilt reactor I just purchased. It will be more like a fluidized bed and I was going to use aragonite sand - The Rowa lith C sound like a better choice, but will have to wait to find it.

Take Care,
Jon

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Jon with the use of rowas product or other fine particle media it is critical to use a fluidised reactor or the fine particles will quickly clog. Coming from the bottom of the unit and flowing up will help for sure. I use the coralith C in my reactor and the combo of it and the reactor itsself if putting out a dkh over 80 at around 1/2 a bubble a second.

Mike

kevinpo

Expert
I've used ARM, Korallith (1.8-2.5 mm size), and Korallin reactor media. I need to use about 2.5-3" of media a month in a 4" diameter tube to keep my calcium chloride additions to a minimum. I like the Korallith the best.

Regards,
Kevin

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.