Quantcast

Red bug or different pest?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

cookiemn

Chicago bound!!!
I have noticed that when my MHs go off that there are some red "creatures" that come out in droves. I can also spot them in smaller numbers when the MHs are on. They are pretty slow moving and I would describe them more as tiny flat slugs. They are dark red in color and mainly stay on the rocks. I have seen them on the glass near the bottom on rare occasions. They do not appear to fit the description of the red bugs. Anyone have a clue on these things?

Erwin

mattseattle

sounds like red flatworms to me. do a search for flatworms and compare the pictures to what is in your tank.

flatworm exit will take care of them or you can siphon them out.

NaH2O

For images of red bugs see this thread: Red Bugs - Inevitable?. Eric Borneman provided a couple of movies, too, which are posted in the thread.

How big are they? If you can get a pic that would be helpful.

mattseattle

he described them as slow moving and on rocks so i'd say 'no red bugs' as they would be on acros and be fast moving. i don't think he has any acros. also he said they look like fat slugs. sounds like he is describing red flatworms to me.

red flatworms are not dangerous so no alarm when alive. you can siphon them out or you salifert's flatworm exit to rid your tank of them.

cookiemn

Chicago bound!!!
Nikki, I read that article recently and pretty much ruled out red bugs because of their size and behavior. I now think that they are flatworms.

Matt, have you tried the flatworm exit? I am a little concerned that the flatworms could release a toxin in my tank.

Thanks

Erwin

mattseattle

I haven't tried it yet. I do have a bottle of it if you need to borrow some.

The instructions just say make sure to run lots of carbon afterwards. Also, try to siphon out as many as you can. They seem to be more of a nuisance than anything. I have a few but they have not grown out of control.

mattseattle

spongebob lover said:
hey Matt could you let us know if it worked or not and also what do you mean by running carbon?
hey....well i haven't tried it and don't have any plans to right now. my mandarin seems to keep my red flatworms in check. at least i haven't noticed them in my main tank. i do see them in my refugium though on the glass.

as far as running carbon - just put a bag of carbon or something in your sump. i have a fluval that i run carbon through.

cookiemn

Chicago bound!!!
Nikki,
they look like that all right, excpet they are bright to dark red. I don't see them on the corals, I see them on my LR, sand bed, and glass.

Matt, thanks for the offer, I think I will buy a bottle in case I need it again. I haven't tried siphoning them, but I will try that next month when I do a water change.

Erwin

spongebob lover

flea whisperer
hmm ya Erwin my flatworms are like that, they all go from bright to dark red. Before they used to be only on the sand but now they live on my rocks and they are so hard to get.
What i do is i lower the temperature of the tank to 75 and sometimes it goes down to 72 which they hate it because they love warm water, i only let my lights on for 6 hours instead of 8, and everytime i change the water which is every weekend i vacuum them as much as i can.
ohhh and when they are on the glass i usually try getting them with my magnet and carefully i take the magnet out of the tank with all the flatworms and wash it in the sink, then i put the magnet back in the tank again.
Ohh and if you can fit another fish in your tank, you should get a 6 line wrass they are pretty good at eating them. ( i miss mine so much :( he used to eat them )

Gaby

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts