Quantcast

Reefing discussion

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Hey folks I was thinking about doing a weekly or biweekly discussion of different aspects of reef keeping. Say a thread that we can topic and everyone can share thier experences with each other. If your interested let me know and I will get it going. Also let me know what you would like to talk about.

Thanks

Mike

mattseattle

i think that is an awesome idea. my topic idea is calcium and alk! :) how do people keep it in balance, what additives do they use, calcium reactors, etc.

that is the issue that i'm still battling with.

OnTheReef

Re: reefing discussion

I second the motion. I particulary would like to hear what has worked for other reefkeepers, especially additives and equipment. Using the example above, I'd like to hear what success (or lack thereof) members have had with the two part mixes which are supposed to balance Ca and Alk.

Paladin

reef discussion

I think it's great and would like to have forum on nusance algae "bubble, hair, etc" and ideas that have worked in the past eradicating it.

aquariumdebacle

electrolyte addict
You need to check out the Library. The best explanation of Calc & Alk is the first thread in the water chemistry section. Mojo did a good job hunting this down. Keep on Risin' Risin'

G~

Super Gobie
sounds like a great idea: how about what corals like which kind of lighting? ;)

G~

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Good it sounds like it cold be a good thing thing then. Lets start with the additives. alot of folks use them and they go from good to bad. I will start up another thread and we will get it going.

G coral lighting needs comes next :D

Mike

SlowBoat

Anyone up for discussion around water flow? What really is high, medium, and low flow? The importance of flow in relation to coral growth. Types of devices that can be used to measure current/flow in at specific locations of our tanks and not at the source of generation.

OneOfDaZZZ

SlowBoat said:
Anyone up for discussion around water flow? What really is high, medium, and low flow? The importance of flow in relation to coral growth. Types of devices that can be used to measure current/flow in at specific locations of our tanks and not at the source of generation.
I would be interested in this one...I always feel like I am stressing out my corals by giving them too much or too little flow.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Great topic guys. I will start a new thread on sunday evening and have the waterflow as the new topic. I think I will also start a poll with a bunch of topics so we can pic one for each week.

Mike

OnTheReef

Re: reefing discussion

Well, you beat me to it. I was going to start a thread, but now I am suggesting some entries for your poll. :)

What do you feed your fish? How much and how often? How do make sure all of your specimens get a fair share?

What brand/model of RO/DI system do you have? If not, where do you get your water? Good points and faults? Any units or brands to avoid?

What do you test your water for and how often? What brand(s) of test kit do you prefer?

Tell your success stories of curing sick and injured specimens. Share all the details: did you use a hospital tank and if so, what were the water parameters, capacity, lighting, environment, medicines and foods.

Tell your success stories of breeding/propogating your specimens.

Well, I am sure I'll think of more. :)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.