Quantcast

Reefkeeping without lights??

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

sharkbaitx2

The topic of lighting seems to be popular this week. I have a JBJ retro fit kit of (2)VHO's ( I believe) 10,000k, 96w that I put in last January. One actinic and one white. Since then I've needed to replace the white four times and the end caps are literally melting and drying out from the heat. I just spoke to the JBJ people in So. Cal and in order to have the unit tested, replaced or refitted - I need to send it to them. How does the prospect of having my reef tank - go without lighting for 3-5 days. When consulting others they suggested some regular flourescent shop lights hung over the tank in the interim. Corals involved mostly softies: couple of leathers, parvona, mushrooms, polyps, zoos, open brain, one struggling xenia and a frog sprawn. I guess the fish would be fine but the Halimeda growth would take off - any opinions or suggestions? Thanks

NaH2O

Sharkbaitx2 - I also think for that short time frame things would be fine, especially if you have a shop light in the interim. Be sure to reacclimate your corals to the lighting on return. Try and have a plan in case the shipment takes longer.

wrightme43

I used a 400 watt clip on shop light. It had the double ended halogen bulb. It was very yellow and very hot but it worked. My leather coral seemed to love it. Everything survived just fine. I just cliped to a pole light and shot the light in sideways through the glass. I think all most anything will work for a short time. I mean they go through typhoons, hurricanes, volcano's and ever survived a giant meteor hitting the earth wipeing almost everything else out. Pretty tough critters. Cat broke the legs and knocked light into tank. Mad because I put a flea collar on him. Jumped up on it.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.