Quantcast

RO/DI 4 stage to 5 stage which filter to add?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

The R/C Man

Hey Everyone!

I have an Oceanus 4 Stage RO/DI system and want to upgrade it to a 5 Stage. Which filter should I add? I was thinking a second sediment cartridge with smaller pores such as a 5 or 1 micron type. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

dnjan

alveopora
Out of curiosity, what is the 4-stage not doing that you want to have done by going to a five stage?

The R/C Man

Hey Don!

Well the tap water here has quite a bit of junk in it. I just want to ensure a longer life on the membrane and I thought by adding an extra $5 filter it might help a bit..... What do you think?

dnjan

alveopora
From what I understand, the thing that does in the RO membrane is the chlorine-based additives in water. Which are removed by activated carbon (as longas it lasts). So, if my primary goal was to extend the membrane life, I would either add a second carbon filter, or regularly change the one I had.

Before I did that though, I would talk with other reefers in the area to determine how long their membranes last (and if it is really cost-effective to add another filter). Have you contacted kevinpo (on this board) yet?

The R/C Man

Hey Guys!
I talked to Kevin and he recommended an additional DI cartrige. The reason being, if you have two you can use the first until it is completely expired instead of half way. Thus saving money and ensuring a better TDS output. He also recommended changing the standard carbon filter for the new chlorine guzzler. I guess they last longer and are at .6 microns.......

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts