1) Make/Model of your RO/DI unit
2) What you like most about it
3) What you like least about it

Thanks!

Eric

tamarindthai

Eric
just want to add to your tread,:
when is the time to replace filter 1st can, 2nd can and 3rd can,,any recommendation,,,when it is still producing good water as usual?,,

mattseattle

i read that just use a TDS meter and when it stops registering 0 that it's time for a filter change. whether that is the DI filter, the carbon filters or the membrane i am not sure of.

as far as RO / DI units i plan to purchase one this week. i'm going with walter from http://www.airwaterice.com/ and getting the typhoon unit which comes with a free TDS members for reefcentral.com members. i've seen cheaper units on e-bay and such but the service and all that i've received from walter thus far has been great. he's answered all my questions and recommended a unit that will do what i need with the seattle water.

aquariumdebacle

electrolyte addict
Kent Maxima

I purchased a Kent Maxxima from Aquarium World back in '98 for $165(just short of theft!) I then had the pleasure of riding back to the airport(LAX) with the owner of Spectrapure. I was in LALAnd for the MACNAX. I had to tell him the reason that I bought the Kent product was that it was>$100 cheaper. Mine is rated for 24 gallons per day. I get about half that when my particulate and carbon filter get dirty (about six months.) I haven't needed to change the membrane as I don't have heavy usage. To replace all three would cost 3/4 the price of a new unit. I wish that it did have a pressure gauge.

Macbeth417

Reef Monkey
1)Make/Model of your RO/DI unit:
AquaticReefSystems 4stage 75gph RO/DI

2)What you like most about it:
Um, great price matching. Nice, sturdy unit with highend parts. Higher flow than rated. Constant 0 TDS. Great sink adaptor with bypass. Autoshutoff valve to keep membrains wet. Nice float valve for my auto topoff...

3) What you like least about it:
No pressure valve on this model, but I don't care, so I dont dislike anything about it yet.

-Erik

OnTheReef

RO/DI Units

Thanks to all who replied with insights on this purchase, I can now post to my own thread :)

1) Make/Model of RO/DI unit
Air-Water-Ice Typhoon III

2) What I like most about it
Trouble-free install
No assembly required
Excellent value for my dollar
Came with a TDS meter
0 TDS even with my terrible phosphate- and copper-laden water
Rated life of one year on all consumables (dependent on water quality of regular flushing of course)

3) What I like least about it
On unit plumbing done with 1/4" non-rigid tubing, makes connections and reading the pressure gauge a little fiddly. I may replumb the pressure gauge with rigid tubing and add a temperature gauge in the process.

jesshimom

I have no fish.
RO Unit

So Matt, How do you like your unit now that you've had it a while and which did you purchase? Thanks for the link, I've been checking one out. SOmeone has such a beast on their Christmas list.

Thanks, Colleen

mattseattle

well i found a used Kent Maxima Hi-S RO/DI unit a few weeks ago. So far I love it. 0 TDS with the unit and that is without the DI cartridge running. I only paid 90.00 bucks for it so it was cheaper than a new unit from airwaterice.com.

my coralline algae and all seems to really have taken off since i switched to making my own salt mix and top off water.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.