Quantcast

RTBA not Bulbing.....

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

RockyHeap

Evil Genius
I've had a Red Tip Bulb anemone for a couple months now, and he's lost all his swollen tips and bulbs.

He's otherwise real healthy looking and expands fully, takes food, and keeps his bright vibrant color, just no bulbing tips.

I've got him about 15-18" under 4 x 96 watt 10K PC bulbs. Do, they like lots of light to keep the bulbing going on?

The previous owner had him under a 250W halide, and he had nice bulb tips when I first got him. He's on a loose rock so I could probally move him, but he's in a nice cave where he fits well and hasn't moved an inch since I put him there.

Water quality is fine across the board, so the only variable I can think of is lighting?

Whatcha all think?

mattseattle

My Rose doesn't like a lot of light. When the halides were on he would lose all the bulbs. Once the halides went off and it was just actinitics on the bulbs came back. I've read other stories that it's either too much lighting or a lack of food that causes them to lose the bulbs.

I feed mine silversides every other day.

Unfortunately I lost mine about a week ago when I didn't have one of my powerheads sponged off. He was sucked right in and spit everywhere. RIP

jesshimom

I have no fish.
I'm really interested in this also. Shilo is practically begging for either a clam or an RBTA for her birthday but she only has a power compact fixture. I am pretty sure the clam is out but wondred about a bubble tip.

I hate to deny her wanting more tank goodies!

mattseattle

Well I answered the original question, I think. :) As far as a RBTA doing ok under power compacts I'm sure it would if it were up half-way in the tank or so. As far as a clam, I would have to say 'no'. I'm sure it can be done but I wouldn't recommend it.

Plus I'm a little old to be adopted now! plus my parents may not like it! <grin>

Here is a clip I found on a seller of RBTA's on E-bay:

Lighting

· Rose Anemones can tolerate a wide range of lighting including VHO, PowerCompact, and Metal Halide.

· It is always a good idea to acclimate anemones slowly to intense lighting

Last edited:

jesshimom

I have no fish.
Oh yeah I guess I should have read better... I guess I was just too excited at the opportunity to harass you.

I'm not sure I trust the info from the ebay seller.... I read that too.

mattseattle

I've noticed quite a few success stories of having RBTA under PC's on the Anemone & Clownfish forum on Reefcentral.

I guess if it didn't do well in her tank you could always move it to one of your own or else trade it on here to someone with halides.

and hey don't get too excited on harassing me! :)

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
FWIW I keep Green BTA's under PC lights (4x32W) they stay mainly under one side/fixture (2x32W) and I've had a lot of growth. One was only about the size of a quarter and is now the size of a golf ball. I think regular, sufficient feeding is more important with them, and also I've heard that Green's require more light than the Red ones so if that is indeed the case I would assume a Red BTA would be fine under PC light as long as it is fed regularly.

fengzhu

Hi, Matt, did you RBTA spit some black/brown stuff after she digested her food? Everytime mine does that for about 24 hours after she eats. I thought I feeded too big a piece, but she did the same thing even when I feeded with quite small shrimp meat.
Except my RBTA does very well and keep open at 7.5'' diameter all the day when light is on. I have 4x55 PC plus 2x32 NO, but she's fine about 1 foot under water.
So my guess is shilo should be OK to keep BTA if her water condition keeps stable and good.

mattseattle

rarely did mine spit out black/brown stuff and it was only for an hour or so.

mine is dead now though! :( she climbed right into the suction on the powerhead.

so make sure to keep sponges on your powerheads!

fishermann

Rockyheap i would leave it alone and keep it fed without overfeeding it. Your'e pc's are fine and if it was unhappy where you placed it, I assure you it would move. It is probably adjusting to its new home and lighting is all. If it is eating and not moveing it is happy.

colleen for sure no maxima under pc's and i would go with a anemone, i think all clams like more lite then you have on the tank

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts