RTN happens to all of us

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

reefsupply

Just checked one of our incoming shipments, 3 Hydro. FL have RTN, I isolated them to a 100 gal tank fraged them and I am praying for the best. Only good thing is if they live I'll have a lot of cheap frags. But the loss of such a beautiful head saddens me :(

MtnDewMan

Steven

Sorry to hear about the RTN ... Oh I feel the pain having lost 3/4 of my tank to ultimately RTNing coral this past year. Very sad when that hits.

And welcome to Reef Frontiers and thank you for sponsoring our site :)

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Steve again welcome to Reef Frontiers and thanks for your support. Rtn is a very unforgiveing disease. I have had sucess with glueing over the exposed skeliton, but even that is a shot in the dark. I thnk in your case the cure has to do with the shipping and forwarding practices of the suppiers. Alot of times its a quick reox and then out the door it goes. Anyway good lick on the corals and I hope you get to save as many as you can.

take care

MIke

MnReefMan

reefsupply said:
some day some one fill find a cure.. I hope
hopefully that person will be me!!!! off to school now, gotta learn bout cellular biology.....

ggarner

i had a hydnophora that i was keeping in my maintank... and noticed that about 1/6 of it started to RTN... in the span of about 45min to 1 hour it sloughed off a ton of polyps... so i grabbed it and threw it in my other tank under a 10k ushio DE and a ton of flow, and for some reason it stopped... and the tissue has been slowly regrowing... i really dont understand it myself?

jeffsreefdotcom

sorry for the noob question, but I haven't tried SPS yet. I'm still new with corals and I'm loving my softies! Anyway, what's RTN? is that that boring algae?

~Jeff

esmith

AQUAMANIAC
what's RTN? is that that boring algae?
jeffsreefdot.com:

No it's Rapid Tissue Necrosis.

This is where part of the corals tissue begins to die off, turning white.. ie. tissue necrosis, sometimes there is nothing you can do and the coral just slowly dies off. This is why people try to frag off the living pieces before the RTN gets to it, you can also apply super glue to the dieing areas which will sometimes stop the RTN.

I'm sure that others here can give you much more detail on this subject if you would like to know more, I haven't had too much experience with this myself (THANKFULLY).

HTH,

Eliyah

jeffsreefdotcom

Thanks! Now that I've heard that explanation, I think I knew that once, but forgot! I guess all those beers on the weekend do have a lasting effect! :oops:

reefjock

I have an ORA frag of Joe the Coral from F&S...RTN showing up at the base. I have heard of using crazy glue. This thread verifies what I have been told. I just covered the area including part of the living tissue. Keeping my fingers crossed to see if it works.

gas4544

Montipora Keeper
Wow, a resurrection of a 5+ year old thread! :)

Unfortunately, RTN is still with us. Good luck with your treatment.

g

returnofsid

Reef Fanatic
reefjock, I'd suggest that what you're seeing is STN (slow tissue necrosis) not RTN (rapid....). It can be stopped, by using Superglue Gel. You'll need to glue a small portion of the healthy tissue as well. I've had good luck with this method, SOME TIMES. Other times, it's a lost cause. Check your Alk.

returnofsid

Reef Fanatic
No opinions on it from me...lol....as I've never used it and can't comment.

Alk and pH look to be within parameters. A lot of times, low Alk will cause STN or RTN. Low Magnesium can also be a cause.

Other causes can include:
Low flow,
alleopathy (chemical warfare from nearby corals)

I'm sure there's lots of other possible causes, but those are some of the more common ones that I'm familiar with. When I've experienced STN, it's almost always been when I've also tested quite low for Alk or Magnesium.

reefjock

Thanks again....Gonna do a water change today.

Had a water flow issue but bought a used Tunze from KC on reef frontiers. Also moved my 2 Koralia 3's as they had become overgrown. Now I seem to have good flow in my 90gal tank.

I guess I have done all I can and will have to keep my fingers crossed. I'll let you know how it goes....