Quantcast

Salinity is fighting back

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

MonthOLDpickle

Black Sun
OKay.. so slowly I got it down to 1.025. I was like yay almost there. than like 1 hour later I checked it and its back up to 1.028. GRRRRR. So what do I do? Still do what I am doing and keep going to get ro water? I am sure bugigng ya all but hey its got to work somehow :p

MonthOLDpickle

Black Sun
Scratch that, it must have been the salt the got wiped off the side that made it go high then got more dissolved. lol. I always ask before I think.

-Andee

Cougra

How much salt do you have on the side of the tank that would cause such a jump in salinity just from being knocked off?

I would be more concerned about the salt creep in the tank at the moment. I don't think you should have that much build up without there being a problem in the tank or it needs to be cleaned off more frequently.

cdeakle

Also, make sure your NOT adding saltwater to your tank to replace the evaporated water. Alot of times new reefkeepers will make that mistake and steadily raise there salinty levels....

MonthOLDpickle

Black Sun
Its at 1.023 now and staying. I have designated buckets. The white ones have the salt and the clear has the ro. I got the water tested just today and everything is good, just a low ph so I got a buffer.

woohoo!!

-Andee

MCSInc

Reef Enthusiast
Pickle

Don't forget that when you add salt it takes time to disolve. If you still see a haze or chrystals on the bottom they will continue to disolve and your salinity will rise as it disolves. So in your salted bucket make sure it is stired well and has had time to completely disolve so you get a correct reading. We actually have a power head (current) in our mixing bucket and it still takes considerable time for everyting to disolve.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.