Quantcast

Salt change over

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

DonW

R.I.P.
I've been changing salt mix from Oceanic to IO. My routine was Saturday, 30 WC, flush overflows, change 25% carbon, add 2 tbl. sp. rowa to reactor, scrub skimmer cup and dust.
I shut down my CA reactor and started doing 5G water changes every few days. Nothing else changed. I documented a few changes in the past two weeks , mostly positive.

ORP climbed from 350avg to 450 steady (no ozone).
Evap rate climbed from 7G avg. to 10G. (dont like that)
CA and Alk steady with just kalk, 1tsp per gallon.
PH was 8.5 day 7.9 night now 8.4 day 8.3 night.
Mg falling, was 1500+ now 1450.
P was just detectable now undetectable.
Skimmer production is down 80+%.
No change in corals or clams.
One big fuzzie mushroom split.
Have not needed to clean front panel for 7 day vs every day.

Ive tested (Ca, Alk, P, SG, Mg)the tank three times in two weeks all three test were alomst identical, except the MG and P decline. The only thing Ive done is add seachem calcium to the salt mix to bring it in balance according to the calculator.

Don

reedman

Sounds promising Don. I'm planning to go back to IO after this batch of Oceanic. It seems to cause more things to get out whack than I'd like. Keep us posted on the changes you see.

oldsaint

Sashimi
Hey Donw How big is your tank? I'm doing the same to my 260. I started out w/ oceanic and have done 3 55g WC w/ IO over the last 3 weeks. Which is about a 20% change. How does this compare to your 30g WC?

My test results are coming in line with yours, finally. I am a little concerned about the high ORP. Mine has been in the 430-460 range. Do you think this is a problem?

Scooterman

Administrator
WOW way cool! I never tried Oceanic because It isn't easily available here but after about a year being out I'm glad I'm sticking with IO. I just got the new smaller 160 buckets as compared to the 200g buckets. The new bucket has a rubber seal, & seems to be a less clumpier salt as compared to the old buckets, maybe moisture was a problem.

DonW

R.I.P.
oldsaint said:
Hey Donw How big is your tank? I'm doing the same to my 260. I started out w/ oceanic and have done 3 55g WC w/ IO over the last 3 weeks. Which is about a 20% change. How does this compare to your 30g WC?

My test results are coming in line with yours, finally. I am a little concerned about the high ORP. Mine has been in the 430-460 range. Do you think this is a problem?
My tank is 110 and sump is 40.
Looking at the results over this short period, I question the weekly water changes. I'm sure that all the changes were not caused by salt alone. The rise in orp is a good sign the 450 to 500 range without ozone is great. I've always got a detectable amount of P with Oceanic. My theory is that with the smaller WC the rowa can completely wipe that out but with a bigger one the rowa can not. Might explain the algae bloom that some get after water changes. As far as alk, ca and mg goes, I'm pretty sure that is the salt mix. The evaporation rate has me stumped, maybe less surface tension due to the better water quality.
I think I'll just keep this up for a few more months. If I continue to see great results, I'm sure I can come up with a way to automate the small water changes.

Don

NaH2O

Don, I did my first WC with IO today. I have been curious to try and eliminate the salt mix as my nutrient source for the algae I have (don't feed my tank, no additives, basically have gone through it all). This morning, I only changed approx 20 gallons in my system (changed carbon, too), and plan on doing 5 gallon WCes every couple of days. I tested for Phosphates (tank water, mix water, RO/DI water) all tested zero. I did check the nitrates in the IO mix and they were ~0.1 ppm at S=35 per Salifert kit. My tank nitrates were 0.0. I plan on testing the tank water tomorrow and see where I stand.

Don, I wonder if the rise in ORP is more attributed to all the cleaning you did, removing the organics, than the salt mix?

gobie

dave the gobie
I'm Not One To Bash Any Mfg Yet I Have Tried Instant Ocean, Corealife, Ocean Pure, And Oceanic Salts. The Only One That Has Worked For Me At This Time Is Io. This Is Purely A Personal Reason One Was Mixing Straight Tap Water Some The Ph Was Low Another The Calcium Fellout Of Solution. And Io Was Right Wherei Needed It To Be.after Straight Tap I Went To My Ro/di Water And Got Close To The Same Results. With After Looking At Them All I Decided That Since I Started Out 9 Years Ago With Io. I Know What To Expect With Io And I Am The Most Comfortable With Io. Be It As It Is This Is My Conclusion.

snobanker

I find it mildly amusing that so many people here (including me) use IO to such great success. It seems like over at RC all they do is bash IO.......

DonW

R.I.P.
NaH2O said:
Don, I wonder if the rise in ORP is more attributed to all the cleaning you did, removing the organics, than the salt mix?
Nikki,
I would say definately its the water changes. I dont vac when I change water. It just makes me question my own husbandry practices.
I do give the salt credit for the ca, alk and mg. Both the salts tested as having detectable P when mixed at 1.028, much more with the Oceanic.
I know mixing this salty is not normal but it does show that there is P in the salt. Instead of just dumping the new water in my sump I pump out of the bucket with my reactor feed pump. Goes alot slower but some of the P should be absorbed by the rowa before it hits the tank. This may be the reason I dont get a algae bloom with either salt mix.

Don

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.