Salt

What's the option you use to set up the tank


  • Total voters
    31
  • Poll closed .

mohd

Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2006
Messages
40
Location
Thailand
Some reef keepers set their tank with instant salt but some set with sea water....
Is there any differences when we compair for such 2 things. Can we use the instant salt from salt farm? ( where brine is evaporated by the sun )
 

Boomer

RF Staff
Joined
Dec 15, 2004
Messages
2,774
Location
Duluth, Minnesota
If I had a dollar for every poll on "What salt do you use" I could buy a new Cadillac :D

But poll away. Yes, I know this is little different
 

mohd

Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2006
Messages
40
Location
Thailand
Boomer said:
If I had a dollar for every poll on "What salt do you use" I could buy a new Cadillac :D

But poll away. Yes, I know this is little different
Simple question but nobody could give the fact indeed. What would be happened if the answer all the same....... and no different!
 

Boomer

RF Staff
Joined
Dec 15, 2004
Messages
2,774
Location
Duluth, Minnesota
Salts are different a number of asays show that and some NSW salt is rather poor, depends on where it came from. Have you looked for salt polls here ?
 

Scooterman

Administrator
Joined
Oct 30, 2003
Messages
10,925
Location
Louisiana
I use Instant Ocean, it is relatively cheap & I can get it locally, If I lived near a reef & it was convenient then maybe I'd give that a try but I don't think I'd feel as safe as with the instant stuff JMO.
 

chris&barb

Reef-Geeks
Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
938
Location
Purple Parrot
if i could collect NSW i would for sure but i do 50 gal a week water changes so thats not an option. i used TM for years but its pricey, i just switched to IO about 2 months ago and haven't seen any ill effects
 

mohd

Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2006
Messages
40
Location
Thailand
chris&barb said:
if i could collect NSW i would for sure but i do 50 gal a week water changes so thats not an option. i used TM for years but its pricey, i just switched to IO about 2 months ago and haven't seen any ill effects
Talking about water changing.... I just plan to set a water treat set for treat the used and poluted water with liverock and bacteria bed before get it back to the tank after 1 or 2 weeks.
 

mohd

Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2006
Messages
40
Location
Thailand
Scooterman said:
I use Instant Ocean, it is relatively cheap & I can get it locally, If I lived near a reef & it was convenient then maybe I'd give that a try but I don't think I'd feel as safe as with the instant stuff JMO.
That depends on where are you in the world. My friend found nothing effect with the tank by sucking sea water to his tanks (The saa only at his back yard)
 

Krish

RF STAFF
Joined
Oct 23, 2004
Messages
25,293
Location
Nassau, Bahamas
I live in the Bahamas and use Instant Ocean salt. Just a personal preference...I'm afraid I may add something bad into the tank just that "one time" so I don't take the chance. People tell me all the time that I am crazy for not using natural sea water, but that is just me(LOL) Here is a photo I took earlier this year when we were out in the boat. I guess that is why people say I am nuts for not wanting to use this water.:p

 

mohd

Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2006
Messages
40
Location
Thailand
krish75 said:
I live in the Bahamas and use Instant Ocean salt. Just a personal preference...I'm afraid I may add something bad into the tank just that "one time" so I don't take the chance. People tell me all the time that I am crazy for not using natural sea water, but that is just me(LOL) Here is a photo I took earlier this year when we were out in the boat. I guess that is why people say I am nuts for not wanting to use this water.:p

If the thing we're talking about "Sea water" can be used as replacement.... What would be happened with instant salt seller in the Reef keeper market???
 

Krish

RF STAFF
Joined
Oct 23, 2004
Messages
25,293
Location
Nassau, Bahamas
If the thing we're talking about "Sea water" can be used as replacement.... What would be happened with instant salt seller in the Reef keeper market???
Well, they would go bankrupt!(LOL) I know a few people who use NSW here as is (without filtering it, running it through a UV sterilizer etc). They just simply take it out of the ocean and pour it right into their tank without any problems. I mean when you think about it, it really doesn't get much better than the "real thing" but on that same note, you still have to be careful when using NSW that you don't happen to transfer something bad into your tank because we don't have the volume of the ocean to dilute anything in our little tanks. That's why if I personally ever used NSW, I'd have to run it through some kind of UV sterilizer or some sort of filtration system first to make sure I get out any nasties (but then it may be pointless using it, if you are killing off everything). One of my friends here can only keep his corals alive by using our NSW. Anything else, and they die...A member here Paul (PaulB) uses natural seawater and probably has the longest running tank (35yrs old). So it can be used with great success...I just personally choose not to:)
 

mohd

Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2006
Messages
40
Location
Thailand
krish75 said:
Well, they would go bankrupt!(LOL) I know a few people who use NSW here as is (without filtering it, running it through a UV sterilizer etc). They just simply take it out of the ocean and pour it right into their tank without any problems. I mean when you think about it, it really doesn't get much better than the "real thing" but on that same note, you still have to be careful when using NSW that you don't happen to transfer something bad into your tank because we don't have the volume of the ocean to dilute anything in our little tanks. That's why if I personally ever used NSW, I'd have to run it through some kind of UV sterilizer or some sort of filtration system first to make sure I get out any nasties (but then it may be pointless using it, if you are killing off everything). One of my friends here can only keep his corals alive by using our NSW. Anything else, and they die...A member here Paul (PaulB) uses natural seawater and probably has the longest running tank (35yrs old). So it can be used with great success...I just personally choose not to:)
People here sometime sucking sea water to the tank and put a heavy choline or ozone to kill all things in the water. ( 2-3 days before using it ) that all Marine institute suggest people to do as such.
 

Krish

RF STAFF
Joined
Oct 23, 2004
Messages
25,293
Location
Nassau, Bahamas
People here sometime sucking sea water to the tank and put a heavy choline or ozone to kill all things in the water. ( 2-3 days before using it ) that all Marine institute suggest people to do as such.
Yeah...That's basically what I would do if I used NSW...I'd UV sterilize it in a big drum or something, maybe run it through a micron cartridge, just to be safe. Not sure if you've ever heard about (or seen) Atlantis here in the Bahamas, but they pump water straight in from the ocean for their tanks. From what I understand, the water isn't filtered or anything coming in, but they do use UV sterilizers on the water being pumped out back into the ocean. If you want to see some photos of what their tanks and fish look like (if you haven't seen it already) click here and look at some of my photos taken there http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15653 These fish are very happy and healthy in these tanks supplied by NSW:)
 

charlesr1958

DiveMaster
Joined
Jan 10, 2006
Messages
110
Location
Cebu Philippines
Not that I have a choice since there are no salt mixes available to me here (mactan island, philippines), but I have used nothing but ocean water going straight to my tank, I hit the water at least twice a week and bring home 15 gallons each time and add it right in. Never had any problems at all in doing so, in fact, I think you just can not beat it, for one, its as natural as you are going to get, no worries about elements being this or that level, its free, and it adds alot of food to the tank as far as plankton, once I do a water change, the corals all go right into feeding mode although to me it all looks like clear water. But if given a choice, I would stay with NSW, all the manufacturers use it as their benchmark for good reasons.

 

mohd

Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2006
Messages
40
Location
Thailand
charlesr1958 said:
Not that I have a choice since there are no salt mixes available to me here (mactan island, philippines), but I have used nothing but ocean water going straight to my tank, I hit the water at least twice a week and bring home 15 gallons each time and add it right in. Never had any problems at all in doing so, in fact, I think you just can not beat it, for one, its as natural as you are going to get, no worries about elements being this or that level, its free, and it adds alot of food to the tank as far as plankton, once I do a water change, the corals all go right into feeding mode although to me it all looks like clear water. But if given a choice, I would stay with NSW, all the manufacturers use it as their benchmark for good reasons.

Good idea, That all what I am thinking about and do right now......
 

Paul B

Active member
Joined
Jan 19, 2006
Messages
1,422
Location
New York
If I had a dollar for every poll on "What salt do you use" I could buy a new Cadillac
Boomer is correct. First take a Cadillac and fill it with salt before you use it.:badgrin:

I take water from here, the Atlantic Ocean, thats where fish come from. I usually just check the salinity and dump it in.
Have a great Father's day.
Paul

The East end of Long Island. If you listen, you can almost hear Billy Joel singing. He lives there, but of course that doesen't make the water any better.
 

mohd

Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2006
Messages
40
Location
Thailand
Lucky me! I haven't show the picture after Tshunami yet...! as the government cleain Thailand is the most beautiful place in the world...! God! Hard to believe it.
 
2

Latest posts

Top