Quantcast

sand

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

mattseattle

ok, now that i have the water question resolved. i'm curious about sand. where is a good place to purchase sand? also, how thick in the tank should it be? i've read anywhere from 2" to 6".

also if anyone has sand they are not using i would be willing to purchase.

R

reeferwanted

If you are in a hurry you can try www.purearagonite.com, how much do you need? I would not recommend 2" more like 3-6" in order to actually get the full benefits.

mattseattle

well i have a 55 gallon tank so i need quite a bit. i received a quote from the company you recommended but the shipping costs were out of control. it was 50.00 for 200 lbs of sand and 87.20 for the shipping costs. i thought maybe there was a place that had it locally and i wouldn't have to pay such huge shipping costs.

R

reeferwanted

Welcome to the wonderful world of reef tanks :) , if you go to a local store expect to pay $30 + per bag, really closer to $40. You make get luck and find people giving used sand away, or someone that bring in a skid and sells it for $19 or so. Try to find and email or telephone # for Doug Stewart, he lives in Tacoma and always has rock or sand available

mattseattle

yeah i noticed what you are saying about buying locally. i stopped by aquarium concepts and they were pricing it about 40.00 for 40 lbs. guess it is going to be cheaper to just buy and pay shipping.

R

reeferwanted

post a thread to see how many people are interested in purchaseing a skid, people always want sand and then its around $18 or so

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Or you could not bother with the sand ( and thus not have to replace or clean it in a few years) and go with a shallow sand bed of CC, then all you have to do is vacuum it mayber once a month. :)

Mike

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.