Quantcast

Saragussm in your tank??

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

The Apprentice

I found some Saragussm at my LFS and thought it would go good in my refugeum Has anyone ever had some of this or put it in their tank? I am courious on lighting and flow ?? any feed back would be greatly welcomed thanks..Jeff

Elmo18

Clownfish
Many find sargassum not very aesthetic to look at. It is a macroalgae and will help with phosphates and nitrates in the tank. You would just have to prune it.

I've had fiji rock that was covered with sargassum. Nice if you are making a kelp bed habitat maybe.

- Elmo

Elmo18

Clownfish
Tangs do graze on sargassum, however, not all. One that comes to mind is the Naso lituratus aka the Naso tang. They like eating brown leafy vegetable matter, and sargassum kelp is a favorite.

- Elmo

The Apprentice

I have a powder blue and a purple tang they just tear up the red nori i just thought this might be a good food sorce that i could take the excess from the refug. and feed them..

NaH2O

My feelings on feeding algae from the refugium is to not do it. The algae is there as a nutrient absorber, and an eventual exporter (by harvesting). By feeding the algae back to the tank, you are reintroducing the nutrients you just absorbed. The fish will utilize some of it, but most will be excreted. I doubt you would want to dump a little of your skimmate back to the tank, but I think of it along the same lines as feeding 'fuge macros. Unless you are growing it only for food?

BlennyBabe

Rachel
Most people have troupble keeping sargassum. You need high water quality and great lighting. It also helps to keep it moving a little. Good luck. I hope it works for you.

jmaxwell

I had sargassum in my tank for a long time and liked it. Didn't seem difficult to grow w/ VHO or VHO + MH. It can actually get overly agressive and shoot runners similar to caulerpa, for a while I had to do quite a bit of pruning. I bought a blue hippo tang and he seemed to eat it with gusto, so now I have none. Although I liked it I can't say I really miss having it in the display tank because of the time it took to keep it under control.

Jim

The Apprentice

NaH2O said:
My feelings on feeding algae from the refugium is to not do it. The algae is there as a nutrient absorber, and an eventual exporter (by harvesting). By feeding the algae back to the tank, you are reintroducing the nutrients you just absorbed. The fish will utilize some of it, but most will be excreted. I doubt you would want to dump a little of your skimmate back to the tank, but I think of it along the same lines as feeding 'fuge macros. Unless you are growing it only for food?
Thanks for sending this Nikki I never looked at it that way i thought it would be a nice dual use but my main concern now is to get my nitrates down

The Apprentice

I enclosed a picture of my refuge. I currently have a little 18" 15 watt coralife 50/50 Flourescent bulb 2" above the water line this picture was taken before i bought the sargassum i placed it in the empty slot where the water intake is giving it the most flow this is a cpr hang on the side refuge. It's the middle sized on currently being fed by a mini-jet model 404 (80-100 ghp) i hope this is enough. Thank you BlennyBabe and Jmaxwell for your replys as well...Jeff

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.