Quantcast

Scallops

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

DonW

R.I.P.
I've seen a few flame scallops lately. I believe there is one in Mikes gallery.
Could someone educate me on these. My wife would love to have one. Some of my readings say they cannot be kept and some say they are like clams.

Thank You
Don

G~

Super Gobie
yes and no.:)

they are like clams in the fact that they can filter water for food. they are not like clams in the fact that they really could not care less what kind of lighting you have. scallops get all of their nutrition from the water column. this makes them very difficult to feed. your water column needs to have the sized plankton that they need to eat in order to live in your system. from what i have seen, very few people have this in their systems. i really doubt they could be kept in any SPS dominated system. these systems generally have extremely powerfull skimmers for removing as much nutrients from the system as possible.

i would suggest not getting one. they seem to live for a couple of months than one day they are dead.

G~

Wolfesbane

Seahorse Wrangler
They'll also move until they find a spot that THEY like, which is usually in some dark corner where you can't see it :)

~ Steve

DonW

R.I.P.
Thanks for the help. I guess I'll skip that one. Its amazing how many things that are collected for this hobby that do not live.

Don

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts