Quantcast

Sea-chem Denitrate

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

NaH2O

Are you having issues with nitrates? IMO, this product is basically a small porous substance that allows denitrification to occur - you could introduce more live rock to perform this, as well. The process would take some time to happen, and you probably would do better with performing water changes, lowering bioload (if that is the issue), watching how much you feed, and cleaning any mechanical filtration that you have.

wrightme43

Not a problem, under 15ppm just wondering if I could get it lower. Thanks for the response. Sea-chem says it will lower nitrates, if I remember correctly to around 5ppm untill it is exhausted. Maybe I read it wrong. I will go back and check again. Steve

wrightme43

Nikki I went back and checked and it says it will lower to 4-5mg per liter, untill it is exhausted as a organic absorbent, then can continue to be used as a biologic filter media. I don't know if its true or not. I am thinking of trying it and wondered if anyone else had. Steve here is the site www.seachem.com

Curtswearing

Mantisfreak
Denitrate is a high porosity filtration product for the removal and control of nitrate in marine and freshwater aquaria by anaerobic denitrification. It is a porous inorganic solid about 4 mm in diameter. It can be used in a canister filter at slow flow rates or even on the tank bottom as a live substrate. It does not require a special denitrifying filter or special culture feedings. It is also helpful in controlling nitrite and ammonia. The surface area characteristics of de*nitrate are similar to Matrix, making de*nitrate an effective support for the biological filter. Each liter treats up to 100 gallons. Marine or fresh water use.
Steve,
ANYTHING you put into your tank water will become an organic absorbant as the bacterial biofilm builds on the additional surface area. You could put a fake treasure chest that bubbles into your tank and you will get the same thing. However, the fake treasure chest is not going to be as porous so it won't be as good at denitrifying. IMHO, don't waste your money on this. Practice good tank maintenance like Nikki suggested and add a little more LR if that doesn't do the trick.

wrightme43

I figured out what the deal is. I have been buying ro-di, water from lfs @.50 per gallon. I tested said water again today. Nitrates at 15 ppm, Nitrates in tapwater at 20ppm, Nitrates in my tank at 10 ppm. Using salifert test kit. Investing in my own ro-di unit or kold steri 3 stage deion unit. Discovered they have removed the di cartridge, and are using whirlpool house hold cartrideges in thier unit. I was curious about de-nitrate. Had never used and wondered if anyone had actuall experince with it. I will start a new post to ask if anyone has used a kold steri 3 stage. I am leaning towards it because of the 4 gal per minute rate. Thanks for the response. Steve

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts