Quantcast

SHOOT, NO ELECTRICITY AGAIN...

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Katchupoy

Our power is down since this morning.... because of the wind....
No light for my tank... but have 2 submersible pumps running to keep the flow...

But one think I overlooked... My UPS cannot handle the 200watt water heater....

Shoot, I need to find an inverter and fast....

Grouperdog

Mine has also been out since this mourning. Looks like my generator has turned out to be a good investment, this is the fifth time using it in under two years with the average outage lasting 12 hours +. I guess thats the price you pay for living on Tiger mountain altho this last storm had some of the highest wind gusts I have seen, 65mph+ it looks like I will be breaking out the chain saw this weekend.

reeffan

Darn it.... :( i also dont have power at home and i dont have any back-up power. I guess im gonna have to invest for the generator also. What a mess...my babies are crying :crazyeyes:

reeffan

Katchupoy

We were hit and out of power for 6 hours....

How about Fragman? He is in Covington area and their area are on the news...

I bet he has a generator or something...

Jeff

We have been using a kerosene heater heating our small house to 78 and we have battery airstones, but our fish are definitely grouchy (currently we have 3 fresh water and 1 salt tank...fish only...staging area for reef tank). I know we need a generator out here for the next one, I can't imagine the stress of a power outage like this and a reef tank. I hope people didn't lose too much.

Samantha and Jeff

Grouperdog

Still without power, hopefully I will have it back on by this weekend. On a side note I was at Sears today and saw they had there auto power inverters on sale. 750 watt for $50.00 - 375 watt $35.00 an inexpensive way of at least keeping your circulation pump and heater going if a generator is not feasible.

Katchupoy

What I did was, cut short of my office hours and run to the nearest Walmart... Took a 700 watt 12volt inverter for 70 dollars and rushed home...

I was able to run my 200 watt heater and some powerheads...

Also need to consider that there are two types of inverter....

Full Sine Wave (more expensive)
and Modified Sine Wave (cheaper)

Modified I heard is not good for pumps or anything with motor... (please correct me here...) Thats why my pumps keep clicking from time to time... and it feels like its going to break....

So I might buy those cheap RV/Marine pumps for under 20.00 with rating of 400gallons per hour... It runs on 12 volts...

or just drop a big /long 12 inches airstone and run it on air pumps.... that will do for temporary use... Don't want to ruin my powerheads...

Salsaking

Salsa soon in Safeway!!
Well Fragman lost about 25% of his tank!! He also lost all of his tangs as well! Bummer!! :( I will help him refrag!!

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Yea this is an ugly. I was out, but only for a couple of hours. Then the rest of the night was spent on emergency reef survival runs...not fun.

Mike

Salsaking

Salsa soon in Safeway!!
Im glad you made it Mike!! I'm sure your happy about your generator.

I had meeting at 1:30 then babysitting after that for wife who was at the
doctors office.

Sounds like the tank is doing better now. Again glad your tank didn't suffer any.

Power was out at my building for about 3 minutes. :) That's it!! I was lucky.

Again hope everyones tank is doing o.k.

MtnDewMan

Sorry to hear about Paul's tank. Terrible news. And the fish :( One of those tangs was one that I gave him ... I hope it turns around quickly for him.

Glad to hear others tanks are faring well ...

Katchupoy

I'm so sorry about fragman... but I though he is on generator.... I guess if you have a generator... you need to switch it manually, and if nobody's home to do it.... then you will have a problem...

so sorry...

Katchupoy

BTW,

Out of desperation yesterday on fixing my newly bought inverter, I accidentaly shorted my UPS (used in computer).... :( :( :evil: bummer.... now it is a piece of junk....

What's good with UPS are I think their sinewave are more cleaner than regular inverters because obviously they are more expensive.... And they are automatic in terms of switching.... and they charge the battery compared to inverters that does not. My old UPS can only run 3 powerheads without the clicking sound so I need more...

I need at least 900 watts on UPS... and that equals to around 1,000 dollars brand new, around 200.00 on ebay....

still very expensive... so I ran to the nearest RE-PC (a place where they recycle pc's and others...) And was hoping I can find one....

And, to my surprise, they have few units out there.... and are selling 10.00 to 25.00 dollars as-is.... meaning they do not know if its running or not... So I took a chance... and bough one... and it works....

That was last night... Now i am going to open it today and see if its 24volts or 12 volts.... hoping I can connect my car battery for longer power....

I hope this helps everybody looking for a cheaper approach....

there are two RE-PC, one in Tukwila and one in Seattle at dearborn near safeco field...
www.repc.com

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts