Quantcast

Should I be worried??

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

cdeakle

When I was leaving the house this morning for work I checked on my tank as I always do and noticed salt creep where I have never seen it before and now I'm a little on the worried side.

There was a fair amount of salt creep where the bottom edge of the acrylic tank meets the stand along the front of the tank. I havent done maintnance fairly recently and I'm assuming if I had a leak that there wouldn't have been time for the salt to dry.

Of course I'm now at work daydreaming about all of the horror stories I have heard about tanks leaking and seals failing. This tank is around 3 years or so old and was purchased new at a local pet store. When I purchased it I did notice there was an unusual amount of acrylic sealant around the inside bottom edges but just thought if anything extra acrylic cement would have just made it that much stronger. Also since I don't have any experience fabricating tanks I have no way of knowing if there was actually an "unusual" amount of acrylic cement, just an observation.

Am I just a worry wart?

Last edited:

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
cdeakle,
are you using air to circulate your tank? Salt creep does not take much. I bet you do not have a leak just over spray and build up from salt creeping. Just do not panic like I did. I tore down my whole tank to find leak. I did not have a leak. I just had water seeping from my stand from previous accident.

Good luck
Ed

cdeakle

Thanks for your response sir Ed.

are you using air to circulate your tank?
If your referring to fans then yes. I have a cip fan inside my canopy to help with the MH heat and a clip fan aimed at my sump and MH ballast inside the stand.

I wiped off the salt creep and it has yet to return. I havent notice an unusual amount of water loss, just a bit more than normal which I attribute to the weather and not running my AC as much in my apartment.

Hopefully I just jumped the gun but I'm watching my tank like a hawk now, as if most reef keepers don't anyways :D

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
My wife liked looking at my tank with Air bubbles years ago. I learned the bubbles also contribute to salt creep. I removed the air pump from my tank after I had salt creep.

I am glad you found it. I am glad you did not panic like me.
Good job!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts