Quantcast

Sick BTA

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

DonW

R.I.P.
My BTA has deflated and his inards seem to out. Little grey squiglies hanging out of his mouth which now goes all the way through to the rock. I just got him, should I wait or take him out now??

Don

Macbeth417

Reef Monkey
Don, I wouldnt risk the rest of the tank and dead anenomes can reak havoc. Not to mention the chemicals released, trying to clean up the mess and the smell... Anyway once it has expelled its gastric cavity the chances of it recovering are slim (to none) IMO.

-Erik

Katchupoy

Not to contradict Macbeth. I am by no means experienced with anemones.

But I just remembered about Anthony Calfo's meeting. That's the biggest mis-conception about anemone. That when it is doing what you just have described that it is actually on its way to recovery. It is trying to expel all the bad stuff from within, And also this is also the time the reefer throw in the towel. Too bad...

Like I said I might be mistaken from what I've heard. Maybe somebody here can verify this one.

Macbeth417

Reef Monkey
"it is actually on its way to recovery. It is trying to expel all the bad stuff from within"

Cesar: I recall Anthony mentioning something along those lines too. Only, I recall him saying people mistook bleached sebaes that become spotted with new zooxanthellae for being sick and tossed them out when they were on thier way to recovery. I dont recall much else, but nothing wrong with contradicting me as I am no expert myself and I was wrong in answering without FULLY researching the situation. However, I have talked to many people who have had anemones die in thier tank and heard tale of the fallout.

By remove I asume you mean placing it into it's own tank until it is healthy or dead (let us hope the former), that is what I am suggesting.

"And also this is also the time the reefer throw in the towel..."

Sorry you confused me there Cesar?

Do you mean this should be seen as an indication of the reefers lack of aptitude in caring for thier charge? I personally think the major problem is the stress of collection and shipping. Thankfully with the rise of captive split clones part of the tricky equation can be some what avoided. IMO Aleopathy, lighting issues, ect play a lesser role in the total anemone deaths than the shock of collection and shipping.

All just my opinion. May not always be the best one out there, but it's the only one I got ; ) If someone can refresh me on what Calfo said I'm all ear as I'm always up to learn.

-Erik

Last edited:

jazznreef

i would take a meat baster and push water on it to see if the tissue is dieing or if you are just seeing tentacles completely deflated. try and figure out of the tissue is coming off the animal. if that is the case then i would consider size of your tank, other inhabitants, the strength of your protein skimmer in deciding whether to remove it from the tank before it most likely continues to foul the tank.

kevinpo

Expert
Hello,
Most anemones can be saved as long as they don't begin to lose tissue. If you see tissue begining to come off use a net and remove it right away. If you use a net you can prevent it breaking up in your tank. A small bowl also works to get them out in one piece. White fluffy growth is another indicator of a anemone that is a gonner (IME) and needs to be removed promptly.

HTH,
Kevin

DonW

R.I.P.
Thanks for the replies.
This morning he was gone. Upsidedown and starting to get milky. I got him on sunday. Lesson learned I guess. I should have had the store keeper feed him or something to show his health.

Don

Macbeth417

Reef Monkey
Don my guess is that this poor little guy was doomed before you got him. I have had similar experiences and have learned to put holds on most stock. It really helps with insuring that you get healthy stock and most importantly, there is the piece of mind in knowing that improper care on your part didn't play a role in the charges death.
Also, always be sure to ask what they are feeding it(and ask to see it eat), what the specific gravity and temperature are and how long they have had it in the shop. It is also a good idea to see what the lighting situation is there as well. I know you know all this Don, but just to reiterate for newer members who may also be considering such a purchase.

-Erik

DonW

R.I.P.
Macbeth417 said:

Also, always be sure to ask what they are feeding it(and ask to see it eat), what the specific gravity and temperature are and how long they have had it in the shop.
-Erik
Thanks
Sadly enough I've learned that most LFS's are usually full of it.
I find that there is usually a single employee that has good info. At the store I usually go to the owner is problem, last time I was in he tried to sell me a $250 ricordia. Common Florida orange with a single eye unmounted. I dont think I could count the times I've overheard, Mandaines eat frozen formula 2.

Don

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts