Quantcast

Sick Clownfish

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
My "male" clown hasn't been healthy for sometime. He gets ICH easily because the female picks on him a bit. He has a few torn fins too (also from the female). I just was able to get a Hospital tank set up but can't put him in it for a few days. I have Spectrogram to treat him with. Anyone know anything about it? Does it work well??

Also! How long can I keep the Male and Female Separated???? I've been told that too long and the male will change into a female. What is the timeline here?

Thanks!

Alice

I don't know anything about the Spectrogram.

Usually it takes quite awhile for a male to change to a female in a single environment, and I would hazard a guess that if he comes from a mated pair, the change would take even longer. You'll have plenty of time to heal him up, but unless you think he won't recover without treatment, I'd suggest pulling the female out for awhile instead of the male. Let him stake out a little territory of his own and disrupt her sense of territory.

However, that aggression just may start all over again. It's all part and parcel of the male and female working out their relationship before breeding begins.

Alice

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.