Quantcast

Size of tank for tiny blue tang.

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
I would like to get a blue tang (Paracanthurus hepatus) for my 72 gallon. I haven't set up the 72 yet and it might be as long as 6 months before I can get it 100% completed and ready to occupy (Most likely 3 months, but could take as long as 6). I found a tiny blue tang that is about the size of a quarter (or smaller.... it's really tiny). I really wanted to raise a tiny one. I have a 12 gallon tank that is ready to go for fish. (cycled) Could I keep it in a 12 while I get the larger tank ready? How long would be pushing it for the fish's comfort? It would be the only occupant and will be spoiled. ;) Thanks!

bradreef

always kidding
tangs like to swim in open water and are very active. 12 gallons would be small. never seen it done but I have seen a lot of fish that size in a tank that is smaller.

Elmo18

Clownfish
Hepatus tangs, especially the small ones, are very susceptible to white spot or ich.

I see so many small ones for sale, and I advise that it is more difficult to care for smaller ones. Feed a variety of foods including mysids, spirulina, etc.

When full grown, these guys even need bigger tanks than 72 gallons.

- Elmo

Ritsuko Nashida

It should fair well in a small tank for a while, but for a grown one the smallest tank I would recommend at a minimum is about 100 gallons. It has the very real possibility of getting to about 11-12 inches before it quits growing. Thats a lot of fish for a 72-75 gallon tank, even if it is the only one. Keep in mind too that a Tang unlike a large V. Lion is a "swimmer" and will want some room to do "laps" in your tank.

Just a suggestion....for what it might be worth. Great fish though so I hope it all goes well for the long haul.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts