Quantcast

Skimmate, it's not just for breakfast anymore...

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Mushroom Boy

Just wondering how much skimmate your skimmer normally draws. I think to make sense of any input, we should provide tank size, approximate bioload (i.e., fish count), and type of skimmer.

I'll start. The reason I brought this up is because I just gave my skimmer a muriatic acid bath (I'll post details if anyone's interested) last week and it's skimming like it hasn't done in a long time. Since about a week ago, mine has pulled out .75 liters of tea colored gunk. My tank is 100 gallons, with about 12 fish in it. My skimmer is a Bullet 1 driven by a Mag 12.

Paul M.

J

Jim

I clean mine every 3 days, I'll have to measure and re-post.

I run a Euro-Reef cs6-3 on my 75gal. 4 fish soft and LPS corals.

Mine seems a little darker than tea.It has chunky bits and fills collection cup about 3/4 of an inch every 3 days.I'll measure in ml next time i empty it.

H20doctor

MMMM Tasty Children
My skimmer is custom home made Beckett downdraft monster. The downdraft tube is 24 inch long, then goes into a 4 inch clear pvc riser. The riser is a mass tornado of bubbles. I get this this thick green muk, Brown sludge of death in my collection cup. I mean thick green nasty stinky, slime of waste you have ever seen. And if I can lean how to post a pic I will show you allllllllllll my skimmer death.....

Mushroom Boy

That'd be a fun idea for a meeting. Everyone bring in a one cup sample of their skimmate. We could have a contest, similar to a wine tasting, however, it could be based on smell, color, originality (whatever that means) and if we have a brave soul - taste :?. I'm sure we could come up with some sort of prize for an event like that :silly:

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts