Quantcast

Skimmer Gurgle

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Angelscrx

Import Fish
OK I got a Red Sea Berlin XL Skimmer that was working great last night. This afternoon it started making a horrible gurgling sound like it's losing siphon. When it makes the sound water level drops in the tube, sometimes a little sometimes a lot. I tried closing the air all the way and it still did it so I opened it all the way and it still did it. I plugged the return line air tubes and it completely lost suction and the water dropped. I tried just covering one and it lost siphon. I blew air down the adjustment tube and it lost siphon. There are no leaks anywhere and the gurgling sound is about to drive me nuts!!!!!! Any help would be appreciated? Thanks

Angelscrx

Import Fish
Ok so I played with the ball valve to the skimmer and closing it makes the noise happen less often and not as loud so do I have too strong a pump? I have a Rio 2500 connected to it which came with it. The skimmer is 36" tall and the pump is in the refugium with bulk head to the skimmer which is about 8" away. Should I just keep playing with it to see if it stops? I'm afraid that if I shut it down to much it won't skim as well. Help please.

wrightme43

Is it sucking air somewhere? I have one on a tank in colubia ky and it never gurgles. Where the air line comes down thru the adjustment screw and on to the pump, does it maybe have a hole in behind the screw? I would guess that it is getting to much air somehow. Hth Steve

Angelscrx

Import Fish
That is what I am thinking. After turning down the ball valve it started to gurgle again after awhile. So it has to be that. I will have to get some new tubing and check it out. Thanks

Angelscrx

Import Fish
OK so I let it sit overnight until I could get some new tubing and found water around the airline nipple? So I unscrewed it and put some sealant tape on the threads and put all new tube. I plugged the pump in and before I could adjust the air it started to gurgle again. The airline nipple no longer has water around it so I am going to reseal the base with silicone and see. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

wrightme43

Did you take the whole intire airline out and inspect it? Have you taken the skimmer out and looked it over with a flash light? did one of the air skirts inside maybe move? It has got to be sucking air somewhere, I would think. HTH Steve

wrightme43

Yours has the three pass system right? Inside the skimmer body there should be two pieces of round acrylic that set in it. I am racking my brain trying to figure out what the cause is.
I wonder, how old is the rio pump? I know they are notorius for failing. Do you have any other pumps you could test it with? Maybe one of the windings failed and it is working strong then weak then strong then weak and it is building up pressure, then the pump is not strong enough to push it and it back siphons and pushs the impeller enough to get it running right again. I am grasping at straws here. I really am out of ideas. I will keep thinking on it. Have you soaked the pump in vinager? that may help if it has a bunch of calcium deposits. I am sorry I am just out of ideas tonight. HTH you in some way. Steve

Angelscrx

Import Fish
wrightme43 said:
Yours has the three pass system right? Inside the skimmer body there should be two pieces of round acrylic that set in it. way. Steve
Yes it has the two other peices inside. One is where the water comes in and then falls into the other then finally down and up towards the return tubes. So do I need to take it apart and reseal it on the inside?

wrightme43 said:
I wonder, how old is the rio pump? I know they are notorius for failing. Do you have any other pumps you could test it with? Maybe one of the windings failed and it is working strong then weak then strong then weak and it is building up pressure, then the pump is not strong enough to push it and it back siphons and pushs the impeller enough to get it running right again. I am grasping at straws here.
This is the second pump I have on it the first one didn't work very well due to damage in the impeller housing. This one worked great when I tested it. Strong even current coming from it. Both pumps are used. I can swap it out with the return pump and see. Will try that tonight.

wrightme43 said:
I am grasping at straws here. I really am out of ideas. I will keep thinking on it. Have you soaked the pump in vinager? that may help if it has a bunch of calcium deposits. I am sorry I am just out of ideas tonight. HTH you in some way. Steve
Any help and suggestions will help. I don't have a lot of money for a new a skimmer so I have to try and make this one work. I have not soaked it in vinegar though because the pump is very clean and there are no signs of deposits anywhere.

wrightme43

On the air skirts, I dont think they need to be sealed I just wondered if one has moved or come loose and droped down or something. How does it do if you close the air valve completly, does it run just fine or does it still gurgle. I would think if it still gurgles maybe the pump is making a little whirlpool and sucking air down to it, or the white and braided line that supplys water to the skimmer from the pump is cracked or leaking. I just dont know what else in the world it could be. I am sorry. Steve

Angelscrx

Import Fish
wrightme43 said:
How does it do if you close the air valve completly, does it run just fine or does it still gurgle. Steve
With the air valve completely closed it still gurgles.

wrightme43 said:
I would think if it still gurgles maybe the pump is making a little whirlpool and sucking air down to it, or the white and braided line that supplys water to the skimmer from the pump is cracked or leaking. I just dont know what else in the world it could be. I am sorry. Steve
I turned the pump on it side in the sump. My return lines from the skimmer are pointed right over it but going across it. It doesn't do it as often but it still does it.

wrightme43

I hate to say it but it just might be one of those What The F#$% type of things. I just dont know. Have you tried to contact red sea fish pharm? Maybe they know. I wish I could tell you. Sorry again. Steve

Angelscrx

Import Fish
Well I think I found out what it is! I went to the LFs and was talking to the owner who mentioned another customer with the same skimmer and the same problem. It turns out that he and I both have hoses that go from the returns into the sump and if the hoses are too long or too curved it creates back pressure at the top of the skimmer. Or if the hoses are submerged under water in the sump it will cause the same thing. So I cut the hoses shorter so they would be under water but it continued to do it. So I am thinking that my hoses are too long or too curved and causing back pressure. I am going to have to redo my whole skimmer and what happens. Wish me luck!

wrightme43

Hey good point, mine are very short and just turn the water out of the skimmer down to the sump, I have it fall on a poly filter, it stops the air bubbles from the splash and makes it so you cant hear it at all.
On the thanks you dont owe me anything, I love this place and I want to do what I can to make sure its the friendlyest (its a KY word LOL) place around. I am glad you figured it out. Steve

Angelscrx

Import Fish
wrightme43 said:
On the thanks you dont owe me anything, I love this place and I want to do what I can to make sure its the friendlyest (its a KY word LOL) place around. I am glad you figured it out. Steve
You sure have contributed greatly to making it the friendlyest Place. Thanks

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts