Skimmer, HOB filter as fuge, both or neither?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

aquarookie

Pure Poison :)
Hi all!

After being out of the hobby for several years (and missing it way too much), I don't have the space to set up my lovely double-55-corner bow front again (although I did keep all the equipment because I'm sure in the future I will use it again).

I decided to make a nano reef in my 7 gallon bow front. I have a nice proper LED reef light for it. I will of course have live rock in it, and fairly easy-going live stock (zoas and rics I think, maybe a couple of small gobies).

I am considering hanging an Aquaclear 70 on the back and using it as a fuge. Would that be too much flow for the little tank? The minimum flow that filter does is 150 gph, which is over 20 tank volumes. Is that too much?

Option B is to use a pump to circulate the water around and hang a Remora Nano skimmer on the back (the only skimmers I've ever had good luck with are the Remora/Urchin series, I swear by them).

Or should I use a smaller Aquaclear AND a skimmer? Or neither?

I am looking to have a healthy, happy, fairly low maintenance setup so advice would be appreciated. Never had a tank this small, mine have all been around 100 total volume.

Pepcrylic

An Aqua clear 30 would be more than enough. I wouldnt bother with a skimmer . Just keep up on your WC. The Aquaclear should provide plenty of flow

aquarookie

Thank you guys for the replies. Sounds like I could try it with the equipment I already have (tank, light, Aquaclear, heater). I have "dead rock" (dry rock, whatever) which I saved from my previous tank. Been dry for years and in a box. I'll give it a good bath and set it into the tank. Then I guess I'll need to seed it with a piece of live rock-I imagine just a little piece will do? Funny enough, I managed to dig up my thread about setting up this tank exactly 5 years ago (that's when I let my big tank go). But I never did set it up-kept postponing it. Well, now's the time to do it!

What's the best salt to use for the nano reef (most stable, healthy, etc). I used Instant Ocean in my big tank back then-the tank was very happy but others said I should use Reef Crystals. I've also heard people use Kent Marine. What do you folks think from experience? What would you choose? Considering the size of the tank, I imagine the price of salt doesn't matter too much since I won't be using a ton.

spieszak

Administrator
I stopped using red sea coral pro when they had mixing issues maybe 2 years ago. I had actually intended on going back, but I didn't notice any difference at all with Reef Crystals. Since then I've gone to a 50/50 mix of reef crystals and io because I ordered the wrong one. I lose 1dkh a day alk and 10-15 points a day cal. My water changes are about water more than elements as I HAVE to dose to be even close to stable...

One other thing. I don't know who made your nano tank, but I'd be a bit cautious how big a hang on filter you used... just because the bigger they are, the heavier they are...

aquarookie

One other thing. I don't know who made your nano tank, but I'd be a bit cautious how big a hang on filter you used... just because the bigger they are, the heavier they are...
Thanks for the suggestion.
My tank is made by All Glass Aquarium about 8-10 years ago. Solid little tank, but the thought of supporting the HOB filter did cross my mind. I might make a foam-lined block of wood to put under it just in case. Don't have any desire for anything to crack or any seams to split!

aquarookie

Got a bucket of Red Sea Coral Pro salt, and my Aquaclear 70 (aka mini-fuge) all ready to go. Hoping to set it all up this weekend!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts