Quantcast

Skimmer plumbing question

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

reedman

Is there a way to run a normal larger skimmer (non-hang on tank) without having a sump?

Can it be placed on a shelf near the top of the tank and run that way?

Any advice/help would be great.

Thanks
-Reed

P.S. I know it would be easier to just add an overflow and sump, but I am just not ready for the sump thing yet. Don't want to risk the flood with the overflow.

reedman

Ah, good point. So the only way to have a big dog skimmer is with a sump then?

I guess I will wait it out until I can put together a whole new system.

Thanks.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
well thier is a way around it. I am not sure if you have seen the large foam filters on a mag style pump. the foam has larger pours so it wont back pressure the skimmer. if you has your skimmer out put through it it would take care of the bubbles.

mike

reedman

Thanks Mike. Just trying to figure out how to skim with the big boys without investing in a whole new system. I really don't trust the overflow boxes. I'll have to look into your suggestion further.

reedman

Next thought...Can I have a "Sump" above the tank and just pump water to it, like a refugium, and allow gravity to return it to the tank? This way I can have a big dog skimmer and not have to worry about syphon loss on an overflow.

What do you all think?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts