Quantcast

Skittish Anthias

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Drummer

I put a Lyre Tail Anthias in my new tank on Thur. night. He is the first and only fish to go in so far. He found a nice little cave on the back side of my LR and has only stuck his nose out once or twice since then. Should I be worried about him starving? I bought the freeze dried plankton when I got him from Kevinpo.

MCSInc

Reef Enthusiast
Scared of the big empty

I also started w/one fish that hid 24 hrs a day and it was sad. Then about 2.5 weeks later we added 2 more fish and it popped out immediately and stays out all the time. So here was our fishy interpretation.

1 fish in a big empty world must mean that there is something big and terrible out there that ate everyone else in the world!!! but as soon as 2 other fish showed up and swam around freely then the immagined monster disappeared and the world was safe once agian.

And yes I know I have a great immagination!!!

jks1

first I chuckled at that interpretation, then I thought- that makes sense...

Wolfesbane

Seahorse Wrangler
Anthias like to school too, so it's a definite possibility that it'll be more comfortable once it has some friends.

~ Steve

kevinpo

Expert
That is very typical for Anthias. Even when acclimated they often spend part of the day and all the night perching in the rockwork. It will become more bold in time and spend 80% of it's time in the open. They seldom bother or are bothered by other fish.

HTH,
Kevin

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
I love the idea of when a new fish is introduced into a tank full of Anthias the Anthias bird dog or point the new Fish out for hours. I thought that was funny. Hey, Hes over here, staring at him.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.