Quantcast

Smelly Talk!

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Scooterman

Administrator
Well I haven't heard much about the different smells in a tank, so I guess this could be interesting, what kind of smells do you get from your Tank?>
I get wired smells from time to time, like I almost need to air out the sump area, under the stand. Often I'll open up the windows and the front door to the stand and let everything air out. So what else do you smell? Good Bad?

LOL this should be funny!:lol:

NaH2O

I think I'll be experiencing the smell of tank rot in the next couple of weeks, while I cure rock in my tank. Currently, my tank smells like tap water, since we are conducting the plumbing/water test. Scott, do you notice the sump area stinkin' up when it needs to be cleaned out?

Macbeth417

Reef Monkey
Well there is that freshly thawed food smell that I had forgoten about as I haven't fed much of anything in a while with no fish in the tank for 6 months. Since there are no windows in the fishroom I added a fan to help that pleasent meat-o-the-sea smell find its way out.

-Erik

Witfull

conducting sniff test- i smell.....salt.....and...grrrr, gotta clean the skimmer,,,,whoooooweeee stank!

Scooterman

Administrator
I think when the skimmer starts filling up, I smell a foul odor after a while, it is a tale tale sign to clean it. I also get different smells, like when I shut everything down for a cleaning, standing salt water is smelly! That is one thing I thing I'm still learning, ways to improve cleaning.

DonW

R.I.P.
My skimmer is just plain foul. It has holes in the lid. While setting up the ozone a made a carbon lid/box, no more foul smell.

Don

Elmo18

Clownfish
Hmm well about 7 months ago, I decided to add a orange diamond goby. Well i acclimated him, etc etc, dumped it in my tank. Well so about a couple days go by and I couldn't find him. I would have thought it would at least hang out with my pistol shrimp I have in there. No, so about 2 weeks go by, and I've looked in sump, around tank, behind it, in the tank when i did a water change, and nothing?!? So at this point I thought it died and my clean up crew took care of it.

Well low and behold, i smell something from my sump area about a week or two weeks later. So i checked and checked again, and i remembered I forgot to check a flowerpot i had in there, one of those clay ones for my clownfish to use. Apparently, yes, the diamond goby went to my internal overflow, down the durso standpipe, swam through the baffles, into the refugium or so, then must have took a leap of faith into the flowerpot, where it died :(

Well the smell was pretty rank and all the remains I saw were bones and dry skin. I felt kind of dumb not checking there earlier.

- Ilham

Doug1

BlennyBabe said:
My anemone crawled into a powerhead and died behing the rock. I wasnt home to notice. nothing smells worse than dead anemone!

shredded anemone is nasty and messy but a few dead turbos will cure that :(

Beeba

My tank smells okay but the glass lid seems to get an oder to it after awhile. Other than that I don't think I've noticed any smell.

NeilsReef

My tanks smells like an artificial ocean, my skimmer is another story...

The tank itself smell very little, when it is full. The skimmer smells absaloutely horrible!! Then sometimes the skimmer doesn't smell at all?

I just had the grand pleasure of moving my tank from one side of the house to another. The substrate had they all to familiar rotting fish poop aroma, um good.:oops: :( :confused:

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.