Quantcast

Snails on their backs

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

iamjosh

Ok my snails keep falling on their back, I've been turning them over and letting them go about their lives.

The question is do i need to?

Thanks,
-josh

Curtswearing

Mantisfreak
Yes, many snails cannot right themselves after being turned over. They will eventually die unless you turn them over.

I'm guessing you have turbos or astrea's.

iamjosh

regular old snails. I've seen a few turn themselves over and a few lay there for days.

How Do I tell if they're dead?

I picked a few up today and placed them on the return of the skimmer so they have water but I don't hafta go fishing for them again or if they're dead it'll be easy to toss away.

Thanks,
-josh

mattseattle

my astrea's tend to do this quite a bit. i've had to save a few. i've given up on trying to keep them all upright.

if they die you'll know....your cleaner shrimp, hermit crabs, etc. will eat the shell clean rather quickly.

iamjosh

Ah ha.. Better get some cleaner shrimp.

I do have a few hermit crabs and a Frie shirmp so I guess its a good sign that they aren't picked apart yet, time to go check the skimmer so see if they're alive.

Would you recomend a turbo snails instead? I want something that will get the rounded corners of an acrylic tank.

Thanks,
-josh

NaH2O

Hey Josh....I like a variety of snails - I think it does a better job than just one particular type. Tiger Trochus, Trochus, Cerith, Nerite, Astrea, maybe a fighting conch, and nassarius** (**if you have a DSB) make a good mixture, IMO. Also, in regards to the snails being dead...there will be other critters, too, that will help in the clean up process, such as bristleworms. Have you watched your live rock at night yet? Amazing how much life is there.

mattseattle

the big negative about turbo snails are they are rather large and can bump things in your tank. they've knocked frags over in my tank and also climb on my clams sometimes.

nassarius snails are fun. they bury in your sand bed and you don't see them until you drop a little food in the tank and then all of a sudden they just appear quickly out of the sand.

but i agree - a mixture is your best bet. some like the rock and sand and some like the tank walls.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.