Quantcast

So I have this live rock with Green Hair Algae on it

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

kimoyo

So, I've got this live rock (55lbs) covered with green hair algae. Since I'm switching tanks, I was wondering what you guys thought I could do to completely rid the rock of it. I'm mean I want to get drastic with this because I really would hate to have an algae outbreak in my new tank. I know that keeping my water in check in the new tank is a must but what can I do to this rock now. At this point I don't care if the live rock is no longer live at the end of this process because most of the pieces don't have a lot of coraline growth on them anyway.

I also have an aquaC skimmer, a emperor aquatics uv sterilizer, and an ampmaster. Any good cleaning methods you guys would recommend for a month's storage. Most of this stuff will just be sitting around for several weeks. Thanks.

Paul

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Put it in a boiling pot of water for a few hours, that should take car of it. I just did that with a bunch of mine that was really old but still had nice shapes. They colored back up with in a couple of months

Mike

kimoyo

Lol, I thought I had remembered reading you did that but I wasn't sure. I got confused with the cook vs. boil, haha.
Paul

kimoyo

Hey wrassehole,

Nope, it will probably kill everything but I'd rather get rid of all algae. Plus since I was taking my tank down anyway I won't have to worry about how to keep the rock alive. But once it goes into the new tank it should eventually grow coraline again and come back to "life". Actually I will be using mostly base rock in my new tank.

Paul

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts