Quantcast

So, what is "starboard"?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Mushroom Boy

I've seen this metioned on a couple of threads and am wondering what it is. From what I can tell, it's some type of substrate replacement. Is that the case?

mattseattle

I think this is what they refer to as starboard.

Starboard is a unique, superior marine grade polymer sheet, environmentally stabilized to resist harsh sun and sea conditions, including ultraviolet light.

I took that from http://www.kingstarboard.com/newmain.htm

I've seen people on reefcentral discussing starboard and I'm pretty sure this is what they are talking about.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Pual its a polymer sheeting. Hmmmm like those white cutting boards you see. about a 1/ 2 thick.

Mike

NaH2O

I believe it is used to distribute the weight of live rock on a bare bottom tank. That way there aren't any "pressure points" from the rock. Not sure though. Could detritus get trapped under it? I guess it would have to be sealed down. hmmmm.........

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
nikki is right, that and to protect it if you drop a rock, annd to make it more sticky when aquascaping. I cant say I am a bg fan of it.

Mike

Scooterman

Administrator
I think that was used as a replacement, not to keep rocks directly on the glass but you could find a few other products reef safe that would perform the same concept. I'd imagine if you ran a bead of silicone, you cold basically seal the bottom off.

NaH2O

Well well well - I see my secret is out! Yes, for everyone's information, Wit has taught me everything I know....as you can see, he is also my body guard, so you must be nice to me!! ;)

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Chucky you dont need starboard...although the companion set of Ginshu Knives are quite attractive, lol

MIke

MINIATUS

I was at the plastics supplier yesterday and he says theres 2 types one is UV protected and the other is not. The other difference is price as one cost 3 times as much. Is it neccassry to have the one thats UV protected.
Also why does it ned to be at least 1/4 shorter than the inside of the tank.

TIA
MINIATUS:exclaim:

MINIATUS

Neil
It helps to protect glass tank bottoms from falling rocks. Thats all I know. Im changing over to a new tank with a BB and hope to put it on the the bottom, but need to know if I need the UV stuff or not.

MINIATUS:confused:

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.