Quantcast

So where do you get substrate

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Macbeth417

Reef Monkey
I need to get some substrate for a 29gal quarinitine tank Im pulling together this weekend. I want to do fine grain caribbean sand. Where can I get some? I.E. southdown style not sylica or larger crushed coral or aragonite.

OnTheReef

Petco will *occasionally* have some Philipine coral sand. It's about the size and shape of grains of rice. Very attractive -- I have it in both my reef tanks. Give the bag a good sniff, though. Petco's storage of this product can yield bags that are mildewed. Note that Philipine coral sand has been banned from import to the US, so when you see it, you're looking at several years old stock, but occasionally a clean bag will turn up.

Doug1

Just curious, but why would you use substrate in a Quarintine tank? Any meds used will contaminate it, as well as the possibility of harboring pathegens. Q tanks are usually fairly sterile with various size pipe or clay pots for hiding places, easily sterilized between use.

jasontatro

Wiseguy
Doug is absolutely correct on that point.

As far as the Southdown goes... it was within the last 3-4 weeks or so. Sorry... dont have the number or address committed to memory. They are in the Yellow Pages. They are located in the U District. Also, any Petco carries aragonite sand in bags.

Hope this helps

Macbeth417

Reef Monkey
Doug,
No substrate, was not aware of that. I have never used a quarantine. The tank is currently bare bottom though so it would be much easier to leave it that way.
Now that I am moving to a larger tank and full blown reef I can't risk a crash from a foolish introduction so the quarantine is a must. So no substrate eh? Just sterile hiding places, some good water movement and a means to use AC to remove meds if needed. Also remember this is not a hospital tank as such, it is a quarantine/ introduction period tank. Though it would be were individuals will be treated if meds are needed, though I shy away from meds if possible.

-Erik

Paparex

Any time you use med they are also absorbed by what ever is in that tank. So if you use copper as an example the stuff in that tank soaks up that copper. As a result you dont ever want to put that substrate or other items that were in that tank in a reef tank even years down the road,because you will transfer that copper into that tank. That is what Ive been told any way. Ive got about 60 lb of crushed coral that I cant use Because I didnt have a hospital tank set up when I was doing fish only and got a bad bacterial infection and treated the whole tank.Keep it clean and fresh.

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
Rico Horton on here has some old sand for sale, it would just require a rinsing but you can't beat the price if he still has it.

http://www.thepsas.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=525

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.