Quantcast

Solid state auto top-off switch.

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
I was looking for a picture of this? I am looking for one of these right now. I could not pull up a pix or price?

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
That is the float switch. Do you have the valve that goes directly to the Ro or RoDI, or DI unit to auto top off?

Scooterman

Administrator
This supplies power when the switch activates it, according to how deep you set the floater. For a RO/DI you will need a solenoid valve to electronically shut-off the water supply to the unit. Which you would plug the solenoid valve to this outlet. I think Kent makes one, we may need to search around for that part.

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
I am looking for a electronic valve the communicates with float switch. I would like to have a tankless auto top off.

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
Scooterman,
I am reading about it. I am listening too. I just want to look at all my options before I make a move. I appreciate your time. I love the idea of a tankless unit. I may even buy the unit you are showing on here. I saw a different type of valve that communicates with float switch. I want to compare them.
Thank you
Ed

Scooterman

Administrator
I think basically your water supply to the RO/DI unit is controlled by a solenoid, the valve is actuated from a closed position to open; thus you would want a normally closed solenoid, for the purpose of fail safe operation, if you lose electricity for some reason, the switch closes thus shut off the water supply without any electricity. The idea of thankless is designed on this principal, however it is done. The unit I posted, will work like this; The floater will get to a point that will send a small voltage signal to the solid state controller, which will switch power on to the outlet box. From this point, the solenoid which is plugged into this outlet will get power, which will make the valve actuate and open, thus allowing for water to run through the RO/DI unit, the outlet of the unit can go directly to the sump (AKA tankless) or it can go to a tub, where in the tub other stuff can be dosed before being delivered to the sump, in the tub/bucket/tank etc.. will be a small ph with tubing that will feed your sump from the bucket, this ph will also need to turn on with one of these solid state units but here is the difference, the first unit is now located in the tub/bucket etc & the second is located in the sump. This way the tank/dousing tub etc. doesn't have to rely on the solenoid or RO/DI unit to make the water before feeding the sump. did I confuse me? LOL there is more than one way to skin this cat but now you hopefully get an idea. One thing in doing the storage unit, is it must be big enough that at no time will it ever need more water than the RO/DI unit can make. You can make several variants of this system, maybe MoJo will chime in on his automated design, I've read about it but maybe he can input a little more info, or maybe better ideas.

jks1

that looks like a good idea to me. I did mine with a solonoid (senses backpressure) and a Kent float switch. Seems to work fine.

TDEVIL

thanks for the link, will need one soon

as with most auto top-offs, i recomend having something around the probe/etc to provent something keeping it from working properly, ie, a snail, etc. wouldnt be good for this to be stuck in the on or low level position for a while, just FYI ;)

td

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.