Quantcast

Some Final Pics in the tanks current state

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

MtnDewMan

Here are some pictures I took today. They are probably the last pictures of this tank in it's current state. I have been having too many issues with the algae and coral deaths that it is time to rethink the tank. I did some tests in the sand bed and found that it is definately not doing all it needs to do, I found lots of phosphate in the bed just under the surface. The bed just isn't binding everything it needs to in my opinion. So in a couple of weeks, I will be pulling everything out into tubs and removing the sand bed. There has been so much change in my tank this whole year that it will actually be a good change. The transfer should be a day or two job. We are thinking about drilling a hole near the bottom of the tank to get some water flow at the bottom of the tank from the pumps. The overall tank will have the same amount of flow.

That is the plan as of today, who knows, it could change and I could get cold feet, but I am sure there will be changes as it is a sure sign things are a bit off when my healthiest corals are showing signs of distress. Wish me luck.

mattseattle

since i'm still a newbie at all this i'm curious what you are going to do in order to get the sand bed to do what you need it to do. better water flow? different type of substrate? what are your plans?

MtnDewMan

My plans are to remove the sand bed all together. I will have a thin layer of sand or crushed coral for asthetics, but no sand bed any more. I plan on relying on the live rock, skimming, and macro algae for nutrient export. So the big job ahead is to take everything out, then remove the sand, get some water flow near the bottom of the tank, put everything back in, minus the sand :)

MtnDewMan

Thanks ... will let you know, you can certainly come up that day and see if you want to pick up some sand then ... I think the big day is going to be on the 23rd of this month.

CarlS

Sorry to hear things aren't doing to well. I just redid some of my plumbing last night and it was a small project but still took a couple hours. I can't imagine the hassle and work tearing down a tank like yours would take. Wish you luck!

As for replacing your sand bed have you considered using Starboard that Bomber at RC has put in his tank? Here is the link. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=223301&highlight=Starboard

Pretty interesting read.

Carl

MtnDewMan

Yes definately interesting. Mine will not be completely barebottom, I will have a thin layer of some kind of substrate on the bottom. Just not a DSB.

Mojoreef is going to help me, he is experienced at moving tanks so therefore he knows how to prepare for this kind of thing very well.

Zack

Enjoy the reef!
MDM you say your sand is not doing well is it a good thing to give it away if it has high phosphate and such?

reedman

Oh boy!

Chuck, you're in for a lot of fun (He He He!). You definitely have the right guy coming over to help you though. It aint fn, but should result in a cleaner healthier tank (Hmmm, I remember reading similar words about DSB). Oh well, I wish you luck as I will probably follow suit some time in the future. Sick of all the sand flying around when I aim the flow anywhere but up :x

Hope it all works out well Chuck!

MtnDewMan

Thanks Reed ... should be an interesting experience for sure. As long as I can keep the critters comfy during the removal process, all should go well. I am safe in Mike's hands :)

MnReefMan

did mojo talk you into this........ :icecream:
no i am in total agreement with the no dsb craze.....
and i am sorry you have to go through this...
i remeber just getting my feet wet in this hobby and i saw your tank i was in awe... i cant wait till you get everything straightend out

MtnDewMan

No, I was in denial for a while. Mike was very patient with me. And he has been kind enough to offer his assistance. I think it will be a better deal in the long run.

MtnDewMan

Good question about the sand Zack. I am thinking after a thorough cleaning, the sand could be reused. Maybe Mike can respond to that question?

mattseattle

yeah that is what i thought. a good washing and maybe let it dry out for a few days. would be nice to have some of the critters though!

MtnDewMan

Yah, don't think you would want to risk using this sand straight from the tank, it is great sand, you will just need to wash it and dry it out thoroughly. I will let you know the details of the 23rd so you can get some sand. Bring buckets :)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.