Quantcast

Some kind of anemone?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

MzWeazelle

Okay, I looked in the id section and had no luck.

I added a new piece of live rock a month or so ago. Not long afterward I noticed what looks like it might be an anemone of some sort on the bottom side. Lighting is too low and the flesh is clear with tiny white dots or lacing, so getting a picture is out of the queston. Arms and all the thing is probably smaller than a quarter and has probably doubled in size since I first saw it.

Anyway, what I really want to know is should I be worried about it? Anybody got any ideas?

MzWeazelle

Ray Pollett

No from your description it sounds like a type of Coral I see in a lot of LR tanks. Does it look like it is coming out of a raised hard area? Almost like a small raised crater?

Ray

MzWeazelle

Possibly.

I actually thought it had disappeared one day because I couldn't see any sign of it. When it finally showed up again I decided it must either be able to shrink down so far that I couldn't see it at all, or that it was retracting into a hole in the rock. I can't see it head-on so I can't say for sure.

Any idea what kind of coral it is? Even just a nudge in the right direction and I can spend some time looking for info on line. If it's any help, I believe the LR it came in on is from Florida.

Johnny

could be some type of filter feeder or feather duster I would see if it retracts when something passes close by. Without a pic that is the best I can do.

wanareef

reefer addict
I have the same type of hitchhiker's, it's not a feather duster but looks like some type of anoemone. Out toward the tips are small clear/white bubbles, short tents and a tube like body. I've seen a picture of it with a name but I blame it on - CRS (can't remember stuff)

esmith

AQUAMANIAC
Are you all sure that you don't have aptasia? I am not sure if they have bubbles on their tips, but sure do know that they hitchike in. I had some of them on some rock I got a while back and they acted exactly like some of you have said...they can withdraw themselves back into the rock, and you can't see them anymore, they also have tube like body

Do they look brownish in color with rings of white around the tenticles? If so then I'd start working on eradicating them, as they can multiply like weeds! :shock:

If this is not the case (which I hope it isn't), does anyone have any photos? Sounds like they might be some interesting creatures. :D

HTH,

Eliyah

Ray Pollett

aptasia is a possibility, especially with Florida aquacultured rock. When I first read it I did not get the idea it was aptasia, because of were he said it was located. Most aptasia I've seen are in areas were they get some light.

As to pictures. It will be monday or Tuesday before I get to a tank with these in it. Then I have to figure out how to post the pictures.

Ray

MzWeazelle

Okay, you forced me to get inventive. Here is the best picture I could get. Had to stand on my head and hold the flashlight in my teeth so I hope it helps someone to identify the little creature. :cool:

Hope the picture comes through okay this time.

esmith

AQUAMANIAC
Well, it doesn't look like the aptasia I've seen in my tank or in my research either.

Gonna have to do some more research to come up with an answer.

Eliyah

esmith

AQUAMANIAC
Ok, I think I have this figured out. It looks to me like Cladocora arbuscula, or at least this is what it's called under some identifications on RC. Take a look at this photo yourself, and you can make the call.

I'm still not sure that it's dangerous, as most people say that it just hangs around without multiplying.

Eliyah

MzWeazelle

I finally jumped though all the hoops and got to the picture. I'd say it is in the right neighborhood, but not exactly the right beast. What I have in my tank has no color what so ever, except for the white spots and whitish bubble tips.

I also did a google search on Cladocora arbuscula and according to at least one hit I do have that particular coral - tube or ivory coral - on both of the rocks I recently added to the tank, and they are similar to the one I'm trying to identify, but the polyps are a fraction of its size.

So, not exactly a match, but much more information than I had before. I think I can safely assume it is a coral and probably not harmful to anything else.

Many thanks for the help. :)

Ray Pollett

Cladocora arbuscula is the coral I was guessing. Did not know the name. The ones that are under rocks and get little light are white and clear from what I've seen. Never seen them being a problem.

Ray

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.