Quantcast

Sometimes you just have to get lucky!

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Fragman

For those of you that have seen my 100 gallon cube tank at last months meeting may remember that I have a couple of tangs. An 8 inch clown tang and a 3 inch hippo. As agressive as the clown tang is he really surprised me today.

Let me take a moment to explain. I have been battling an ever increasing hair algae problem (Bryopsis) So I borrowed a fish trap and captured my dynamic duo of a clean-up crew from my frag tank. With the right bait, (brine shrimp) I was able to catch my small purple tang and Red Sea Sailfin in less than 15 minutes. (yes Chuck this is Sailfin that you gave me) These two had completely irradicated the bryopsis from the grow out system in a month or so. They even tought their orange spot rabbitfish tank mate to munch on the stuff. He wouldn't eat it at all four six months until "The Boys" showed him how delicious the nasty stuff is.

OK so I delivered the pair into the cube. I was expecting all he.. to break lose. The Clown tang has been known to freak, out change colors and attack my cleaning magnets let alone intruders with fins. To my shock and amazment he completely ignored both of them. Five minutes later both tangs were grazing on Bryopsis. HAHA, I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER!

I guess that Sometimes ya just get lucky!

I can't wait for the rocks to be sparkling clean again!

Paul H. :) :) :)

tamarindthai

so ,,no more complainnaaaaaaaa,,,i saw it,,was amazing,,you can train fish?!!!,,,i still like your rabbit fish,,when you want to let me borrowed ,,i'm first.
dang

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
That is lucky, but you got to love it when it actually works. I was close with that vlamingii tang. I put him in with no real purpose and with a week he wiped out a calurpa problem that I had been fighting for 5 years.

good on ya Paul

Mike

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.