Quantcast

Spawning Micro Serpent Stars

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

MCSInc

Reef Enthusiast
In my 30 gal tank I have many micro serpant stars that I love. The are now about 2 to 3 inches from tip to tip and very shy. You hardly ever see them until I start to feed the fish and then my rocks are instantly hairy looking because of all the legs sticking out reaching for food. The main body ALWAYS stays hidden in a crack and only the legs stick out. When I am target feeding someone in the tank I like to put my finger next to them and watch them explore my finger, trying all the time to pull me towards their hidey hole. Over time I have found 4 on small rocks and moved them to my 100 gal trying to get them established there also.

Saturday was water change day and all went as planned. I was dumping out buckets and cleaning up when I looked back at the tank AND PANICKED. (Freaked out, sending the whole family running to see what was wrong.) I have Micro Serpant Stars all out of the rocks running around everywhere including on the glass, pumps, everywhere. I am frantically trying to figure out what I did wrong, The kids are wowing over the size of them, and my husband calmly points out that the fish are happy, the corals are happy, the cucumber is happy, ... etc. Then Tanna points out that one is squirting white stuff. Hmmm.... OK Let's look at this a little calmer. They run around frantically.... they run into another microstar on the glass.... they both stand up on their tippy toes and squirt.... yep. Then they run off and find another one and do it all over again. Yep. Spawning. Meantime I see the golden opportunity to move some of these guys so I net 8 of them out and start acclimating them for the 100 gal tank. They are still at it by the way in the plastic container. I count at least 8 big ones still running around in the 30 gal tank.

All together it lasted about 25 min. and once I realized they were all OK it was really cool. The cause? I don't know, maybe someone could tell me. There was a small change in temp I am sure and a slight change in calc.???

Ah.. The mysteries.

NaH2O

Hey Candy! I think that is really cool! Did you happen to take any pictures of it? I had a similar event, except with snails - it is hard to say what induced them. However, mass spawnings are really neat to witness. Do you have a skimmer on the 30 gallon?

Here is a link to the thread on theTrochus Mass Spawning I had in my tank.

MCSInc

Reef Enthusiast
Sad to say no pictures. Yes, I left the skimmer running in the 30 gal. I was worried about what effect it would have. No skimmer on the 100 gal tank though and they were still going at it right after I got them transfered.

MzWeazelle

How neat! I have a number of small ones in my tanks, too. Maybe someday I'll be lucky enough to see something similar.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.