Quantcast

SPS / caulerpa Question

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

marinelife

SaltGeek
I was reading my Natural Reef Aquariums Book and it says that having Caulerpa in a system with SPS Corals is not a good idea, the SPS corals do not like the chemicals the caulerpa gives off. Is this true? I have been having problems with my SPS corals dying off some then growning, then dying off again. I know the caulerpa uses alot of calcium but I got a larger CA Reactor to help this problem. I have alot of caulerpa in the sumps and was thinking of removing caulerpa and just running a very small amount as part of my filter system. Any help would be great, everything is in check in the tank chemical wise.

Curtswearing

Mantisfreak
Nope. Not only do the SPS not like the previously mentioned toxin, they don't like the Oxytoxin either.

If the caulerpa goes "sexual" on you, then have the possibility of killing some SPS.

Last edited:

marinelife

SaltGeek
I removed as much of the caulerpa as I could yesterday, leaving some behind I am going to try and get more out again today. I left a small amount of Chaetomorpha sp; a few different red algae, and some other macro algae (leather brown just and this think green stuff). The one 100 gallon stock tank will have just alot of live rock and the other one not sure yet, most likely a coral grow out tank instead of the algae, I have a 75 hooked to it as well and that maybe the algae tank of only the above listed algae so I have nothing that goes sexual on me.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
A big one to watch for also is how you harvest the stuff. if you break the plant it will release its toxins, that is it defence technique for being attacked. try to remove the whole plant when harvesting.

take care

Mike

marinelife

SaltGeek
nothing yet I would say a few weeks atleast, I still have a little more to get out but nothing compared to what I had, I will update as soon as I see or not see a difference.

marinelife

SaltGeek
Just a few things, after a few days now with little algae in the sumps, I have tested my calcium levels and they have now stayed at 425-450 with just my CA Reactor no more adding extra Calcium. Also I have not seen any new dead spots starting on the corals. I removed as much of the caulerpa as I could and did a small water change and replaced the carbon with some fresh. So far things are looking good.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.