Quantcast

sps frag

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

szidls

Gaitor Wrestler
Hey all,
I have a single green sps frag about 2" long. It seems to be the frag that gets bumped around the most since I have not glued it to my LR. It's just glued to a piece of rubble. Anyway it has turned white from the tip back about 3/4". Should I cut the white part off or leave it and watch. The tip turning white has taken place for about a week.
Scott

Angelscrx

Import Fish
I agree, interesting though I thought most bleaching started from the bottom up? Is it on the side not getting any light?

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Probibly just damage from being banged around. Bleaching can start on the top of bottom, same with rtn.

Mike

Angelscrx

Import Fish
mojoreef said:
Probibly just damage from being banged around. Bleaching can start on the top of bottom, same with rtn.

Mike
Oh ok thanks, since I had two corals get RTN on me I look them over everyday. Before I just stared in awe now I stare in awe and inspect at the same time. :)

szidls

Gaitor Wrestler
The bleaching started 3/4" down from tip and went up to tip. There is no rtn that I can see. Thanks for replys.

Scott

jks1

Mike, would you consider it a general rule to break off what is white? I have had several frags do this and left them alone and eventually all have regrown tissue over the skeleton. I was just thinking though that the coral may be expending a lot of energy to recover, and that I might save that expenditure in the future by pruning off the white areas. What do you think?

kevinpo

Expert
It's realy a personal call IMO but there ae some advantages to removing the dead skeleton. Often algae will begin to grow on the dead area which makes it much more difficult for the coral to regrow. I think the coral looks better faster when the dead portion it removed. A clipped branch should cover the open area within 7-10 days when conditions are favorable. For it to regrow over the dead skeleton can take much longer depending on the size of the area of course.

Regards,
Kevin

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts