Quantcast

Star Polyp Coral

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Beeba

I bought a very nice green star polyp coral on Friday but since I put it in my tank it just looks like a purple rock with bumps all over it. Some of the polyps will peek out once in awhile but it doesn't seem to want to open up completely. Is this normal?

jasontatro

Wiseguy
Beeba,

Sounds about right to me. Give them some time. GSP are a very hardy species. One suggestion though, is to keep them in a high flow area. GSP will get bothered if things are allowed to settle on them, and if nuisance algae is able to grow on them. I've got mine right in front of the output of one of my powerheads.. and they love it!!!

MCSInc

Reef Enthusiast
"GSP will get bothered if things are allowed to settle on them, and if nuisance algae is able to grow on them."

That may explain why mine are closed so often and have not been growing. They are in a low current area, low in the tank. Interesting information. I think I will move mine to a new location.

Elmo18

Clownfish
Beeba said:
I bought a very nice green star polyp coral on Friday but since I put it in my tank it just looks like a purple rock with bumps all over it. Some of the polyps will peek out once in awhile but it doesn't seem to want to open up completely. Is this normal?
Perfectly normal. I got mine in and it took about 2-3 days for it to open from shipping. Once their out, though, oh hmm nothing will stop them!! Just have some nice flow around it so detritus and other junk doesn't accumulate on the "mat". They will spread rather quickly.

This is one of those corals that really have nice fluorescence in actinics.

- Ilham

MCSInc

Reef Enthusiast
Thanks for the information here. I moved my star polyps directly in front of a 55o powerhead and about 8 inches out. They had never done well until I read this and moved them. Now they are beautiful and growing and happy.

Beeba

My star polyps look awesome now. I put them near the powerhead for a few days and then moved the powerhead so it isn't a direct shot on it and it looks beautiful.

MzWeazelle

I started out with one rock that accidentally got split into two pieces while I was putting it in the tank. Along with the two major pieces I also ended up with two small pieces that fell off the rocks. One of those attached on a third rock, but the second disappeared. Now I have a small colony that spread off a large rock and got separated. The definately grow fast if you have conditions they like!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.