Quantcast

startin mushrooms

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Sealab2021

Puffer
So i got this nice little 40gallon acrylic sunday measuring 36" x 15" x 16", and am interested in doing the top 2 or 3 easiest mushrooms(easy as in least lightnig requuirements).

Anyone have a suggestion for easiest mushrooms?

&What is the bare minimum (in dollar amount especially) lighting requirement to keep these alive and possibly grow(& as u can see it's a short tank).

I have a good size hood that has plenty of room for retro fitting another light(I have a 20watt T12 24" 50/50 in there now)
Anyone know where to get a cheap retrofit for this?

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
"I have only a 24" ballast"?? Is this the length of the tank or ballast?? T5's also come in 24" dimensions and the Helios have their own built in ballst..

Hope this helps..

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
I like to stick with Reef Frontier sponsors.

Blue Sierra - Issiquah (sp?)
Salt Water City - Bellevue

Click on the sponsors link for their info.

If you want to drive T5's harder with a ballast Blue Sierra also sells the Suntek T5 retros that are supposedly better though I haven't seen em in action. They are quite a bit more expensive...

Sealab2021

Puffer
ok how about this

How can I keep the easiet of mushrooms without spending more than $100 on lighting?

Preferably retrofitting the nearly empty 24" hood I already have.

o and no "check ebay" answers please

DonW

R.I.P.
Hood is 24" tall?? Heck I can give you a diy 400w metal halide set-up. I think Fragman has dibs on two but I have 2 extras.

Don

wanareef

reefer addict
That ballast, is it 24" long?? What kind is it? Mfg? specs. I think you just have a flourescent ballast,generic. You would hav to look up the mfg and the specs. Different ballast will run different lights (tubes) some more effecient and others not.

wanareef

reefer addict
On your hood, it that the one that came with the tank? Usually plastic?

Well the bad news is, with that present hood configuration you can go the way of T-5's with an electronic ballasts or make yourself a bigger one that covers the entire area of the tank. If you have looking around in the photo gallery, you will have noticed that most of the hoods cover the entire top of the tank. This is to gain room for lights and cooling - what you need.

There was a post - can't remember off the top of my head - of a 75w MH for a nano. You could put two of these over your tank, but then it'll cost you about $150 or so for the lights and you would have to DIY.

:rolleyes:

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.