Quantcast

Substrate

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

DonW

R.I.P.
My daughters 20g fish only tank has a puka shell / argonite substrate. I guess the average size of each piece is 3/8 to 1/2". This stuff has been great, a quick vac job or shot with a power head cleans it up real nice. There is only a single layer just enough to make it white.
Has any one seen or used this in a reef??? It seems to clean up almost as easy as a BB and does not blow around.
Ive also melted this stuff in my calcim reactor at a ph of 6.5 the calcium output is great with 0 phosphates.

With enough live rock would my pod population drop drasticly w/o sand?? Need to keep the Mandarine fed. I need to come up with a solution to my sand problems besides BB (wife hates the idea).
When I set up this tank I got some great looking live sand full of life and clean. The problem is I think the tank was saturated with kalk. If I put a tsp of LS in a quart of ro water the calcium level is off the charts. Kalk would explain the fine layer of dust all over everthing.

Thank you
Don

Elmo18

Clownfish
Hi Don, I would probably use that type of sand for a goby species that likes to dig and sift. Using a DSB with oolitic or very minute particle grain size would definitely cause a stir.

However, the larger particle would not work when employed in a DSB. I think its great to use for any reef, but you just need to vacuum the dirt that accumulates, and since you're already doing that, I don't see why you should change. A shallow covering to cover the glass/acrylic is great :)

- Ilham

DonW

R.I.P.
I think your missing something.
I have a 1/2 sand bed, that seems to be saturated with calcium/kalk. With 2600gph water flow the powder covers everthing. I am considering a shell and argonite bed just for looks. This stuff is huge by comparison to anything I've seen in a reef. Full shells and argonite pieces.

Don

Elmo18

Clownfish
I think it would be ok Don. You will just need to vacuum the bed as the detritus and fish waste/food will get lodged easily in between the large sized aragonite/shells that make up the sand.

- Ilham

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.