Quantcast

Suggestions on glass tank...

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

danno14

That's Dumas!
Hey all- I will be closing on a new house at the end of the month, and it has a great location in the family room for a tank (go figure). It will be a while until a new tank as there is a fair amount of cosmetic work needed by the house itself. That doesn't mean that planning for the tank shouldn't start now:}}}. Soooooo, who has suggestions for GLASS tank availability? Looking to go with a 240+ gallon, non-wall mount setup. Any comments upon clarity, cost, followthrough by the manufacturers? I have a price list coming from Inter-American in Calgary. Any other suggestions? Thx, Dan Oh, Mike.... it's right around the corner from you on Tapps. Lakeridge

aquariumdebacle

electrolyte addict
I personally love the look of glass. It looks like furniture. That being said I get really scared when glass tanks get over 100 gallons. there's a lot of pressure on the glass especially when the get over two feet in height. Silicone is just not a good adhesive at those pressures and it gets old.
I had a rare 135gallon up in Alaska that I had to move many times. I had to scrounge up four friends every time just to move it. It leaked on me the first time I set it up. After beefing up the seams I didn't have any problems. I loved it and it impressed the hell out of my friends.

I personally wouldn't go any larger than 150-185 gal. I think that is the largest standard stock tank from All-Glass Aquariumn. A tank of that size would require professional advice. I would recommend an engineer. I think external bracing is also in order. A tank that doesn't require more than two sides of viewing could use fiberglass attached to the glass. A tank of that size is going to need at least inch thick panel. At this size it becomes really expensive. Acrylic doesn't have these problems and is a bargain at these sizes. Acrylic doesn't leak.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Hey Dan good to know I got a new reefing neighbor. Thier are many pros and cons to both glass and acrylic. I to love the look of glass and the fact it doesnt scratch so easy, but also it is really heavy when you get inot the larger sizes. I do think enough advances have been made in adhesives to make you feel pretty good, but one never knows what could happen. having said that acrylic is not fail safe either. I think the one main swing thing for me is the ease at which you can manipulate acrylic. it makes drilling holes and installing elaborate plumbing schemes alot easier and alot cheaper. But its your choice.
One thing I can really give you a heads up on is inter american pet , out of calgary. Do your self a favor and give thier shipping company a call (checking for claims) and call the better business bureau about them. I have heard alot of horror stories over the last year or so about thier work. I have even seen a couple that were pretty scary.

take care

mike

danno14

That's Dumas!
thanks for the input

Thanks guys-

Dan...I am running a glass 150 now, so am familiar with the issues inherant with glass. One of my closest friends has a glass 300 that he built (!!!) with great success. Of course, any who know him are aware of the nuclear engineering levels of attention to detail that he has. A number of other cronies have 240+ setups that seem to be doing pretty well.

Mike....I hear what you are saying about acrylic....may end up that route but would really prefer glass....we shall see!

Any other input out there?
Thx,
Dan

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts